Install headers or leave stock manifold?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Shmeag, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Shmeag

Shmeag Rockstar

For a while i have been trying to decide if i want to buy headers or not. So i was wondering if anyone on here has them and if they are worth the money and time to install? Do they sound better or are they obnoxious? Any input would be helpfull. Thanks.

2. KRAZYKARL

KRAZYKARL New Member

Same here. I can not decide. My wife works at a dealership and thinks I’m stupid and it will void my warranty but that is why she works there. I know when we use to work on cars and building motors that was the best upgrade besides new heads. A motor is a motor mechanically they still work the same. Performance wise it should be noticeable and as with anything if you can keep your foot out of it there should be a MPG gain. I am going to put some on this year.

3. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i run jba shorty headers on mine. took awhile to get them to not leak. but i like em. long tubes will get you more horse power. but shorties can be installed with out affecting emmissions, if thats a concern in your area.

4. Shmeag

Shmeag Rockstar

No emissions are not an issue. Do you have to pull the motor to install long headers.

5. BLK-Z71

BLK-Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

If you want headers buy the good copper gaskets and the stage 8 locking bolts, shorties are nice and simple to install, but LTs will give you the best hp gains..:great:

6. KRAZYKARL

KRAZYKARL New Member

these are expensive but they come with catsARH Long Tube Header System w/ Catalytic Convertershttp:// (americanracingheaders.com
    )

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

install headers or leave stock manifold

I have JBA shorties with stage 8 header bolts. Took about 1 hour per side to remove stock and install header. Long tubes do make more power but are more hassle to install. Like everything else buy a good quality set. StainlessWorks and Dynatech both have good long tubes, and Ive had several sets of JBA shorties, had to warranty one side on my Suburban after 100,000 miles but otherwise no problems.

8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Here are mine,,on e-bay for 240 bucks ,,,fit and work perfect !!!!!!!

SS with real thick flange,,so no leaks !

9. Shmeag

Shmeag Rockstar

Alright thanks guys.

10. langss

langss New Member

I put headers on my Blazer only because the stock exhaust manifolds were warped.Noise is higher,performance is improved,mileage is improved.They will burn anything they come in contact with.Gaskets can be a problem as well as install.If you don't like noise and extra engine compartment heat....keep the stock manifolds.Just my .02.