1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Install Kill Switch on your GM Truck or SUV?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Sep 4, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I go into downtown St. Louis every now and then and I was thinking of installing a kill switch. A lot of vehicles are stolen down there.

My question is would installing a kill switch be pointless? Since my truck has the circle plus transponder key, does it make the vehicle impossible to start for a thief?

I was thinking about installing a kill switch for the fuel or ignition and putting the switch somewhere in the truck that a thief would take some time to find.

Thanks.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If your truck was an older model Id say a kill switch would be no problem, with new trucks Im not so sure.Many of the systems on your truck have specific power requirements, Im not positive a voltage drop due to a switch and related extra wire wouldnt cause issues with whatever system you chose to use it on.
    While no one wants their vehicle stolen this is what you pay insurance for, its a lot easier than trying to track down self inflicted electrical problems.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The transponder is supposed to kill the fuel supply.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't know about the newer trucks. But, on my 95 I have a switch that is hidden in the floor board. It is a push pad under the carpet. There is a relay that interrupts the starter signal wire. I get in turn the key forward and press the pad with my foot, then you hear the relay click and the truck will start. Friends of mine still can not find the location of the foot pad, either can my wife. Only one person has found it in nearly 20 years, that guy installed them for a living. I had it located in a spot where is part of my natural movement while getting in/ starting the truck. I think it cost me $80 to install.

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

This is a good conversation to have, as vehicle security is still an important topic.

How are most cars/trucks stolen? Are they being hotwired, or is the thief breaking out the starter to a point where the ignition can be turned? Will a transponder key fix that problem? I'm pretty sure that a kill switch will do that, but is it needed with the new tools that are inside cars to stop them from being broken.

That being said, I've only known maybe two people that have had their vehicles stolen ... like stolen out from under them.

Next subject - but it's related. Since all of the anti-theft systems have been developed over the last 20 years, we've seen a huge rise in carjackings. How do you keep yourself safe from that? Anyone have any body or glass coatings/armor on their vehicle to protect against bullets? Just curious.

6. Pikey

A few months ago there was a show on the discovery channel about how things worked in underground operations such as drug smuggling and chop shops. The guy would walk thru the organization from the ground up he showed everything from staking out a car to the disassemble and sale of the parts. He volunteered his NBS tahoe for the process. He parked it on a busy street at night during a party with people walking in and out of the house party constantly. The thieves that he rode along with had is truck gone within a minute after getting out of their car. One guy popped the door open and opened the hood. The other guy waiting in front of the vehicle pulled the horn relay (no honking happened because they did it so fast) Then while the guy on the inside broke the ignition switch loose with a screwdriver and hammer the other guy unplugged a control module under the hood and plugged another one in that he had in his coat. (apparently bypassing any security system and defeating the passlockII) They started the truck and off they drove.

So, while OE manufactures have implemented security measures, they are easily defeated by professional thieves.

As far as the glass coating, body armor goes. I have neither. If someone wants my truck and points a gun at me they can have it. (as long as my kids are not inside) That is why I have insurance. I do carry pepperspray in my center counsel and I am also a black belt. I have had to use the spray at a gas station late at night when I was approached by a few guys. But, again if someone just wants my truck and they have a gun, in my opinion it is not worth fighting and dieing for.

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That's interesting, what was the show? I wonder if we now need to have our fuse boxes equipped with a lock of some sort. Never thought about it, but if they're fast enough and there is no actual 3rd party alarm, then once they get access to the electronics, they can just swap them out, that's something that never really occurred to me before.

8. Pikey

It may have been called "American Underworld". Looking back I think that it originally aired in 2011.

9. ChevyFan

Looking at it on YouTube.

Here's the Cadillac Escalade getting hit in 14 seconds with just the thief breaking the gear shifter so it can be moved in and out of gear ... even though they can't drive it, they just push it with a truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6OQZVVl37A

10. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My '01 had a kill switch from the factory. I had to flip the left blinker every time I started my truck. I do believe it saved my truck on the one occassin it was broken into. They stole my stereo and there was evidence that they tried to start my truck. Unfortunately, the kill switch doesn't work anymore - not sure why. [MENTION=57614]stchman[/MENTION] I would get a kill switch installed. I am all for them.