1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Install Kill Switch on your GM Truck or SUV?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Sep 4, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

So installing a kill switch would do nothing. The thieves simply push the vehicle!!!! As far as a steering wheel lock, my Silverado does NOT have that.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have seen them installed so you have to press a combo of radio or dash buttons. @Steve I guess the only way to "prevent" them pushing it away would be to have a Club on the steering wheel. Although when I worked in the garage we saw many vehicles stolen with the club on them. They simply cut the steering wheel with a large pair of bypass bolt cutters or a hacksaw.

So, I guess that my point is, If they want it, a professional thief if going to get it
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The only thing you can do is to make your vehicle slightly more difficult to steal that the other guy. I do agree that if a thief is determined and skilled enough, they will steal your car.

This is the reason I carry full coverage insurance, even after the vehicle is paid off.
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

All valid points above. There is nothing that will stop the hardcore/full-time theif that wants your car. Anti-theft devices keep out the honest and the joy-riders.
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I like this idea^^^^^^^^. I had my truck stolen 10 days after purchase:grrrrrr:. When I got it back the alarm install company put one in where it wont start if not unlocked by the remote (I know not as good as above), and then I basically disconnected to override, but know where its at in case I need it.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Anyone else want to do this?
  7. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

This has been brought up many times (on other forums especially) and I always thought my truck wasn't worth stealing. But that 1st day I drove to school, I was so worried something would happen to it. I really likw the idea of the turn signal and the dash/radio buttons. Is that some special thing that an shop has to install?
  8. kcolorado

kcolorado New Member

Steve,

How do you like the Traverse? I am looking at buying a mid-large SUV in the next 3 years. I like the loks of the Equinox but prefer the size of the Traverse.
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'll answer that in the Traverse forum.
  10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've thought of putting a kill switch in on my truck. A determined thief would still get it either way, but we don't have many professional thieves around here. I might still get to that at some point.

With that being said, I don't carry collision coverage on my truck, and therefore damage to my own vehicle is not covered in an at-fault collision, BUT I would never be without comprehensive coverage for fire/theft/vandalism/etc. It's a really cheap coverage to have, my premiums don't increase for making a claim on my comprehensive, and it proved itself useful when my wheels were stolen. If somebody wants to steal my truck, that's what insurance is for.