1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Installation of long tube headers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ippielb, May 17, 2010.

1. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just wondering if one could manage to install long tube headers, in a morning, in around 3 hours? I have my new headers right beside me, and i work from 1:00pm till 9:30 pm, so it would h ave to happen in the morning before work, then leave my truck at the muffler shop to have them finish my exhaust. Do you think it could happen in a morning? All i would do, is cut my old exhaust off far enough back, and then unbolt my old manifolds, then bolt my new headers up, not doing anything with my exhaust. driving open headers to the muffler shop.
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. Big75

Big75 New Member 100 Posts

how far is the muffler shop?
  3. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member 100 Posts

4. ippielb

Muffler shop is 35km away, 30 being highway driving, and then 5 in the city. Attempted at getting the manifold bolts off right now, but... haha they're pretty baked in there, soaking them in some nut buster to try and break the seal on them. Not putting my headers on today. Maybe tomorrow.
  5. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member 100 Posts

shouldn't be too bad to do depending on how tight of fit it is. If you were using the existing exhaust or assembling new, then i'd say you might be tight on time, but if you get the bolts broke loose ahead of time shouldn't take more than an hour or so (supposing you have plenty of clearance and don't have to jack up the engine, etc)
  6. ippielb

I will try and get all the bolts broken, then the next day swap out the headers. Just to try and be safe on time.
  7. ippielb

Busted one head off of a bolt with the ratchet on the drivers side, i was too strong i guess. haha, i settled down and got the air gun, and loosened the other bolts on the drivers side, removed them completely, cleaned them up, put them back on. Loosened one of the bolts on the passenger side, but then had to go to work. Damn... I guess i'm going to have to weld on a nut and try and get that bolt out of the block. Going to soak it for a while more with WD-40. Anyways, i bought VHT very high temperature flameproof header paint. Silica Ceramic Coating. Going to paint my headers with this. Just curious if anyone had tricks to painting headers.
  8. JennaBear

JennaBear New Member 100 Posts

It is possible to get your headers done in 3 hours but you are pushing it. Your trip to the muffler shop will be incredibly loud and will run like crap due to the O2 sensors.
  9. ippielb

As long as my truck gets there, but i need to finish painting them ,they still aren't on yet. The can i got for primer heat paint was screwed, so i just got another one. I hope everything turns out well.
  10. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member 100 Posts

Most headers nowdays come with the O2 sensor bungs already installed, so that shouldn't be an issue.

as for the bolt, it's most likely rusted in the manifold and not the block. once you get the manifold popped loose, you should be able to just get some vice grips on it and get it out that way. You may need to use some heat on the manifold to get it off the rusted bolt. That will probably be the most time consuming of the process, so just be prepared for it (ie start on that side first, in case you can't get the manifold off.

I just pulled the manifolds off of my 86, and that was the issue I had. luckily I didn't break any.