1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Installed a New Radio in my truck

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Crawdaddy, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well, over the easter weekend I installed a new radio in my truck, though it appears I still have some work to do to it. I installed a Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS. I also installed a Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod adapter. So far, I LOVE this deck. It's not as easy to use as my Sony deck in my car, but it's still easy enough. I don't have any pictures of it quite yet, but I'll get some asap. The autoeq and autota features of the radio are very nice, and got the radio set up reasonably well so that all I had to do was tune the eq settings to get it sounding how I like it. I am fairly certain that I need to replace the ipod adapter because it isn't showing the song title on the display, even though it should. I called up tech support and they told me the adapter was bad, which wouldn't surprise me a LOT. I bought the display model from BestBuy because they were out of the adapter in stock, and I think the display model was a DOA return or something. I wish I could post some audio clips of how good it sounds, but the coloring of everyone's computer speakers would discolor it....
  2. Crawdaddy

Okie-dokie. I finally got around to taking some pictures of the radio in the truck, so here they are...

Radio installed in the factory hole in the dash
    [​IMG]

Wider shot of the radio in relation to the dash
    [​IMG]

Profile view of the radio, it sticks out a little ways, but I don't mind it...
    [​IMG]

Face opened to allow insertion of CD. Interesting to note, the display and all controls still work when the face is opened!
    [​IMG]
  3. Crawdaddy

Because the radio cost me 400 bucks, I take the faceplate off when I'm not using the truck
    [​IMG]

The iPod adapter tucked away in the glovebox. Not nearly clean enough for my tastes, but when I get more time, I'll route it better and make it look more presentable
    [​IMG]

Couple of closeups of the display, it looks very nice
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse these last 2 pictures. For some reason, photobucket insists on having them upside down, even though I fixed the rotation over at their site....
  4. Crawdaddy

Navigation of this radio is pretty easy. Everything is done wither with the left knob or the right knob. There are 4 buttons that surround the 2 knobs, but they only have minor functions for the most part. This radio has dual 16-band EQs for left and right channels, 5 volt preamp outputs for super-clean signal going to amplifiers, switchable blue and white display and knobs, time alignment, and a slew of other features. The knob on the right is a button, knob, and 4-way switch. Depending on what screen you are on dictates what each control does. For example, when you press the knob from the main screen and turn it to select Audio, you can then turn the knob to see all the different audio settings you have. When you find the right section, the 4-way switches go into work to adjust the settings that you want in that particular screen. The visuals on this radio look pretty good, but I'm not really one for visuals, so I opted to go with the spectrum analyzer visual. This radio is not for the faint of heart or the newbie to car audio, because there's about 6 billion settings that can be changed. However, if you want to have crisp, clean audio and full control over how it sounds, this is the reciever for you.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Looks good Christopher.
    I'm not brave enough to install an aftermarket stereo in any of my vehicles (except the Jeep which has a 16 gauge steel locking center console). Every aftermarket stereo I've ever installed was forcefully removed within a few months afterward.
  6. trenchwarfare

trenchwarfare New Member 100 Posts

Nice job and nice looking head unit. I think that design for the stereo placement is stupid. I relocated mine to a center console I made. i can't keep leaning in to change music, though I do have a remote now. Do you have a center speaker in your dash?
  7. Crawdaddy

I totally agree, and from day 1 when I bought the truck I have been planning to custom-build a wood center console for the truck and stick, among other things, my radio in it. I hate the factory mounting location, but until I get around to building the console, it's gotta stay there. I was figuring after I built the console, I'd stick a CB there, it's about the same size and something I wouldn't be adjusting constantly. I'm not quite sure if I have a center speaker. There's the holes in the dash for it, but I've never pulled the dash out to check, and I haven't heard anything from that location that I can recall.