Installed my 2-way radio today...

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by moogvo, Oct 3, 2012.

1. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This has been in a box for a while and I wasn't going to install warning lights and radios in this truck... but I just can't help myself...

So after looking all over the inside of the truck for a place to install my radio, I reluctantly used the space where a factory CD player would have been installed. My truck had the delete pocket there which is great for cramming full of small things. I hated to lose the pocket, but I will learn to live without it. I mounted the radio's face plate (control head) in the opening for the pocket. (So the pocket is actually empty except for a CAT5 cable running from the back to the face plate... I might modify the mount and hinge it later so I can flip the radio face up and still use the pocket... It will be a cool stealthy place to put stuff...

Here is the control head install on the dash (The actual radio (RF Deck) is mounted under the passenger's seat.) The "extra" red wire laying behind the seat is a "for later use" wire that I ran to run to my strobe light power supply box that will get mounted under that same seat in the next couple of weeks. It is unpowered at the moment so it won't spark if it happens to contact a ground. The 2 "knobs" to the left of the radio on the dash are actually "push-pull" switches that will be used for my warning lights. One is for the hidden strobes in the headlights and tail lights and the other one is for the grille and deck reds that will be installed.

Attached Files:

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That looks sharp. I really like the hinged faceplate idea so that you don't lose your storage, too, and hope you do it ... as that'll mean you don't have to get used to loss of that space. :)

3. moogvo

Yeah... it will make a nice inconspicuous hidey hole too!

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I won't ask what you plan to hide in there. But if the local K-9 unit hops in your ride and sits down, you'll be in trouble!

5. moogvo

I'm a firefighter... I don't worry about cops. LOL!

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You can't ask for a much better fit than that, especially if you are going to put a hinge on it. I agree that you should do it as well.

7. moogvo

I think I will do that in the next few weeks. I need to get my warning lights installed first. that will give me time to figure out how to fab it up... Right now, it's on L brackets screwed into the top of the pocket. I will absolutely have to work on this one... I loves me some delete pocket!