Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Installing a CB Radio?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by steved, May 4, 2012.

1. steved

steved Former Member

Since buying the new truck, I will need to install my CB in it. Antenna is no issue...I know what I'm doing there.

For those with CBs, where did you mount the radio itself? The knee panel under the HVAC controls looks good, but my radio is fullsize. Mounting on the floor, against the 4wd shifter is an option (the way I did it in the old truck). For the Dodges, there are aftermarket mounts that slip slip between the seat/seat mount to provide a mounting surface...maybe I need to make my own.

Thoughts?

Further, what's the biggest radio anyone is running? I'd like to reinstall my amplifier, but I fear it would probably make the ECM/PCM have convulsions.

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

all depends how much you use it. in my 05 I had mine (small one) mounted on the back of the center console. the 11 I think i know where im gonna stick it, but i dont know on the antennas yet, so I havnt messed with it. Id mount it on the bottom of the dash under the HVAC controls, or figure out a floor mount. Im assuming you have the big center hump like i do, so that may work. in truth, i may mount it there as well. im gonna play with it over the weekend and see what I think of it.

if you get it done, post some pics please, id like to see what you come up with, I will try and do the same.

Alex

3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't have any mounting suggestions, but in terms of RFI to your other electronics, hook the radio directly to the battery... both positive and negative leads. make sure to use a good quality coax cable and make sure that you have the connectors installed well. As for a CB amplifier... Those are not legal to use so I won't say anything more than follow the same guidelines for radio mounting above if you must have one.

I won't get all "preachy" about Ham radio and getting a license for that, other than to say "You don't know what you are missing!"

Cheers!

Tom - N4KCN

4. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Not sue man, what are you working with so far?

5. steved

steved Former Member

I know how to install correctly...they still suffer RFI...even Ham equipment will cause problems in certain cars.

6. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's correct. All radio equipment has the ability to create interference and even receive it. the best course of action with regard to radio transmitters is to start with quality wiring, including a good low-loss coax cable, (regular CB antenna coax is a poor grade cable - the better your cable here, the better your results.) and to take care to route all cabling as far away as possible from sensitive on-board electronics. Solid grounds are always your friend! Good luck with your install! Make sure to post up pics when you are done!

7. steved

steved Former Member

I sold the amplifier (a Class C, 1x4), just didn't want to go through the installation again...I'm trying to keep this truck simple. I added more wire to my last truck than it came with from the factory...

I was running RG-8 (95% copper braid, 16ga stranded copper center conductor). Not the Mini-8 (RG-8X), but the full on RG-8...I had very little trouble in my old truck, but I also had less electronics. Since I'm likely going to just install the PC-76XL and 102" whip again (durable, simple, pretty much foolproof), I'll probably pick up some Mini-8 for this go around...it should work for a low power set up with the limiter intact and less than 100% modulation (I try to run my junk so my neighbor's toaster doesn't talk). Of course, I think I have about 100 feet of RG-8 sitting in the garage...so that might be the better way to go?

My issue right now is finding a ignition-powered circuit that I can hook a relay into so I don't need to turn the radio off/on each time I get into the truck...and a place to mount. I found a couple floor mounts that are either no-drill or only a few holes.

8. elittle

elittle Member

I just got a 2012 silverado 1500 and I want to install a CB and am going through kind of the same stuff as you right now. I mainly want it for the PA system, the CB is just an added perk in case of an emergency. Please post some pics if you can if you come up with any good ideas!

I wanted to put the CB inside the center console because the console is gigantic, but I think running wiring into the console might be a pain.

9. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I put one in my 97 and in my 99 NBS. In the 97 I mounted it underneath the CD player on the knee panel just low enough to be in easy reach and hide some wires. In my 99, the people before me mounted it on the side of the center console (I have the SLT) and thats where I put it since there are already holes there from the screws. I went through 3 or 4 of the 30$ radios already. I took it out of my 99 but I'm considering putting it back in but sticking it where the small storage space is on the center console and just removing the little door flap and making a trim piece to go around it. I'll have to look at it more one day but I'll put it back in before the southern meet if I can make it.

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

Oh, I had mine hooked up to the battery and when the squelch was turned, I could hear the engine reving through the static, 4x4 actuator engage, windows go up and down and locks triggering as well. Might have make a plastic trim piece made and paint it grey to match the interior so it doesn't stick out.

10. steved

steved Former Member

The cheaper radios typically have less filtering in them (for both RF and electrical noise). And radios do age, and start to pick up noise after a while.

If you're sure its coming in the electrical feed, they do make external filters for that...

I'm probably just going to mount my radio on the center hump, mine are to heavy to mount on the plastic knee bolster under the AM/FM. I had mounted all my radios on the 4WD shifter in my last truck...but that's not really convenient. I'm going to pull the 4WD shifter to make sure there are no wires running along the hump, I already made sure there was room under the hump between the body and transmission.