Installing a Sub with Stock Radio

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by aparker2005, Dec 15, 2009.

1. aparker2005

aparker2005 New Member

Hello everyone. I am very clueless when it comes to systems and usually have someone install them for me. I'm just wanting to get some basic information before I had to a local mart to get my system installed.

I currently have 2 Alpine Type E 12's and an Alpine 450 watt amp. They are both enclosed in a box right now from when I had them installed in my Grand Am. I just got a 2009 GMC Sierra regular extended cab. I would like to put ONE of these 12's and the amp in the truck. I would also like to keep my stock Radio/CD Player if at all possible.

My question is, is it possible to have one of the 12's and amp installed in my new truck while being able to keep the stock radio? Will I be running into any complications with this? I plan on putting the 12 either behind the back seat or under the back seats in the cab.

Or, would it be better to go on an add an aftermarket head unit? I was trying to get out as cheap as possible at the moment since funds are a little low right now.

Last, as far as my XM goes, my trial ends in February. I will be renewing then on the stock head unit. If I were to add an aftermarket, would all I need to do is activate that radio and my service continue?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

You can do it with a stock head unit, if you want to keep it... All you need is a line out converter...
    Something Like This...

If you get an aftermarket head unit, you would have to make sure that it can recieve satellite radio... If not you have to buy a box that will plug into your aftermarket head unit...
    Something Like This...

Hope this helps...

3. cwbontheyfz

cwbontheyfz Rockstar

they sell a rca adapter that splices into the stock speaker wiring thats the easy way to not do any major work and u keep all of your stock equipment

4. aparker2005

aparker2005 New Member

Thanks for the responses! Now my other question is how will the sound quality be? Will the bass be too loud since the only bass option will be the bass level on my stock radio?

5. cliff334

cliff334 Member

i originally had my system hooked to stock head unit..i spliced the left and right inputs to the amp with my rear left and right speakers the inputs would be the rca cables...then u still need a remote wire for the amp. choose a power point that is only on when the key is on tho..when i did this i wired the power to a switch and then the remote wire from the switch to the amp so i could turn my system on and off as i pleased...as far as to much base i dont see that happining u can always adjust the amp levels down

6. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

go to subthum.com they should have the pac kit that will hook up to stock deck and it will have a remote wire and your rc cable hook up i got the kit just never got around to hooking up my subs

7. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

thanks guys, i had the same question

8. aparker2005

aparker2005 New Member

One last thing, with rock music being the main thing I listen to, would it be better to only put one of the 12's in the truck, or go ahead with both 12's that I have? I'm thinking one because in my Grand Am I had before, both 12's were just too much bass at times since I probably won't be upgrading the other speakers. Just wondering what you guys thought. Thanks again!

9. cmurphy84

cmurphy84 New Member

I'm running a single Sony amp and 12" sub in my truck and the level of bass if fine for rock. I adjusted the amp level to a reasonable range and use the bass knob on the stock radio to tweak it if it gets too loud or quiet while on the road.

Like another member already posted, I'm using the stock radio and tapped into the rear speaker wires and utilized the high impedance input on the amp. I also wired a switch just under the cargo lamp switch so I can turn the amp on and off if I want. The amp is wired so that it is only on when the ignition is on.