1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Installing a Trans Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Big_Al, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Big_Al

Big_Al New Member

Hi folks.

Just picked up a Trans Temp Gauge to install in my 1997 Tahoe. My question is where to put the sending unit. My transmission shop says they don't like the idea of putting it the pan since because if you bump it on something you loose ALL your fluid due to the low position in the trans. With this being said, they say they mount it in a "test port" by removing a plug. Anyone know where this is located on a 1997 Tahoe? TIA.....Al
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Going off of memory, I think the pressure test port is about midway up the case on the drivers side near the bellhousing.

Me, I'm putting my gauge in a TCI deep oil pan. It'll give me additional cooling an a spot specifically to put my temp sender. My opinion on the pan being too low is you should never be able to put something high enough to snag the pan. It's pretty high up, higher than the front suspension and to a point higher than the frame rails. If that still isn't enough, you can put a skid plate on for the transmission.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I know what your shops saying about the low position of the pan but the reality of the situation is if you develop a leak in the test port it's gonna dump most of your fluid too, this is a pressurized line an it doesnt take long to blow all the fluid out a pressurized line. It'll leave enough in the system to fill the pan but when you get to low it's gonna start cavitating and foaming which will cause the same issue and same results.
  4. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Where is the factory trans. temp. sender located? I have always thought the best place would be in the line leaving the transmission going to the oil cooler.