1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

installing aftermarket headunit

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by cohen, Nov 18, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. cohen

cohen New Member

I had a Clarion flipout touchscreen monitor in my old truck, and have been thinking about putting it in my silverado. How hard will it be and do I need any parts? I do all my own work so I have done this before but never on anything this new and I don't want it to sacrifice sound quality from the stock bose headunit with 6disc changer, or get in there be like ...wtf... :neutral:

I researched it some and I need to buy a $100 adapter
    or
    do this..?
    http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1143934-need_factory_wiring_codes
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. EagleTalons

EagleTalons New Member 100 Posts

100 Dollars is hard to part with when you have this guide... Does Walmart sell a cheaper one?
  3. cohen

cohen New Member

not sure, will that guide still allow the bose amp, door chime, etc. to still work??
  4. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My advice would be to check out Crutchfield.com. Go to the "Outfit My Car" link under the "Car Audio & Video" section in the "Shop" tab. You can enter all of your vehicle info, then it will come up with all of the components that will work with your tuck. You can then pick a similar head unit to the one you're wanting to install and click on "Installation Details". This should tell you what you need for the install.

Also, check out the "Learn" section of the site. They have lots of good info.
  5. EagleTalons

EagleTalons New Member 100 Posts

I completely forgot about those components...
  6. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

well if you have the 6 disc its going to eventually break
    (common problem)

When i was looking at screes for my truck I was told that flip out ones in my
    (body style truck) get hit by the shifter when you put them in park. which is my reasoning :neutral:to go w an INdash when i save the $ ( eventually):lol:
  7. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member 100 Posts

Depending on what DIN size your unit is, you'll need a Metra dash kit and a wiring harness. I'd look at the Crutchfield site to figure out what you need, visit Metras website and then find a local dealer for the Metra stuff. Get a harness though and dont try to splice it in.