1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Installing an after-market air filter and muffler, what should I know?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by McClintoc, Sep 13, 2012.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Next week, when I am on vacation, I plan on doing a lot of work on my truck. I will be installing a new Specter air filter, new spark plugs, new PCV valve, new fuel filter, new fuel pump and a Flowmaster Super 50 muffler. My main concern is how will the engine react to so many changes all at once? With a new fuel pump and fuel filter, the fuel should flow a littler better but more specifically, the new air filter and muffler will drastically increase the air flow that the engine is not used to. Will this many changes all at once dramatically confuse my engine or computer? There was a sheet of notes that came with the new muffler that said the on-board computer is in a constant state of learning but with a new muffler, the battery should be disconnected for a couple of minutes after installation to reset the computer due to the increased airflow - again, I am installing a muffler and a high-flow air filter. Is resetting the computer all I need to do or are there any steps I should take before and after installation of all this stuff? Keep in mind, I have never done this much modding to a vehicle before so I am venturing down a new path and am looking for all the info I can. Thanks!

2. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Your engine is definitely going to blow up!!! :lol: (just kidding)

I do not think that your engine or computer will react in a negative way to the mods. When I installed my 50 series, I didn't do anything to adjust the computer. I do not have a high flow air filter or anything. But that is a good question though. If the sheet said to do that, I would but I cant think of anything else that you have to do.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Vehicles from that time frame normally have the ability to adjust or learn changes.
    Like the instructions say disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so then when you reconnect and start the truck let it idle for another 10 minutes, this should allow the computer to update and learn the new parameters.
    Another way to do this is drive the vehicle around like you normally would and usually after roughly a 100 miles it should've learned new parameters to deal with the changes.

4. McClintoc

Bump for any last minute tips, tricks or info. I'll be heading out of town tomorrow night and won't have access to a computer with internet. Well, I could use my phone. Figured I'd see if there was anything to know before doing the swap in a couple of days.

5. McClintoc

So, last week I did I all the work I mentioned and then drove the truck on a 300 mile trip and again on a 400 mile trip (all in one week!). Turns out, everything is working just fine!

6. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Glad to hear of no problems. So how do you like the upgrades so far?