Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Installing coil springs on a 93 c1500 4.3l

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by damn_dragons, Feb 11, 2013.

1. damn_dragons

damn_dragons New Member

I bought new control arms for my 93 C1500 4.3L. In fact, I am replacing the entire steering linkage also. 250k, I figured it was time to get a new ride out of the old girl. I have searched about 50 pages for a thread but to no avail.
    I removed the driver side upper and replaced that with little to no problems, removed the lower and have been trying to install the coil spring back into truck with the control arm bushing bolts in position but not bolted. I have been using spring compressor (AZ Variety, bolt mounted from the shock hole on top of the axle with the spring holders hanging down inside the coil) and spring does not want to seat properly in the bottom pocket of the control arm when I jack it up from the bottom. I even tried to hammer it into place, but after a couple of whacks, it knocked off the compressor, figured that wasn't too safe.
    Was wonder if I should remove the bolts that hold the control arm on and slightly bolt up the ball joint & knuckle and try it that way, or would that be an even bigger headache trying to get the bushing bolts to align with the fully compressed spring? If anybody out there has a surefire way to get this completed, I would greatly appreciate your help.