installing headers

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by newcheylover, Jan 24, 2013.

1. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 Z71 with the 5.3Lmotor. I was throwing around the idea of putting a true dual exhaust on it formultiple reasons. Fuel economy, hp, torque, and it just don’t sound loud enoughfor me. I want to replace the exhaust manifolds and put on some high flowheaders. I would like to know if it is worth spending the money to get the longheaders instead of the shortys, and how much of a pain it would be to installthem. Also I would like to know what the best way to set up trueduel exhaust. I’ve seen multiple different setups but don’t know what is thebest way to set them up.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

From what I have read long tube headers will give you more power and better flow at low rpms, while shorty headers will give you more power and flow at high rpms. If you do long tube then you will need to have your exhaust redone to bolt up to it. Most the short tubes I have installed bolt right to the old stock exhaust with no issues.
  3. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

i am going to replace the old exhaust anyway with true duels so im not to worried about that
  4. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

What do you mean by "true dual" exhaust?
  5. donyms

donyms New Member

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you here. :glasses:
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Welcome! :great:
  7. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

Individual pipes for each header not from a y pipe
  8. Thud

Thud New Member

Thanks for welcoming me to the club and with these fast post I'm sure iI'll have a lot of fun here! :-D
  9. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

You know that's bad for your truck right? And you lose quite a bit of horsepower. Your engine relies on the "H" pipe on your truck to equal out the head pressure from what side to the other. You will lose fuel economy, horsepower and your truck will sound god awful. All the really nice sounding trucks and hot rods all have "H" pipes.

My exhaust setup suggestion would be the same as mine, long tube headers, and then cutting the muffler off and doing duals from there out the back. Your factory cats are already high flow so don't waste your money on doing anything from the cats to the factory muffler. Leaving the "H" pipe in will help you. The "H" pipe is the pipe from your y-pipe splitter to your factory muffler.

My personal setup has no muffler, just headers and duals where the muffler once was. I have more power, better fuel efficiency and it sounds so good even die hard Toyota, ford and dodge guys give my truck a thumbs up.
  10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

I have American racing headers with their highflow cats in combination with a Corsa high performance sport exhaust. It sounds awesome... There isn't a truck in my area that has that same tone. You know you have something when all the guys at the local auto shops stop and turn their heads when you go by...:). When you order headers you'll have two choices for pipe and collector sizes. The larger pipe will give you a lower tone... The.smaller pipe will give you more bark. I went with the larger... 1 7/8 headers on my truck. The headers and exhaust combination will really wake up.your truck... But you'll need to re-program your ecm and tcm to take full.advantage though.
  11. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

X2 on the H pipe. Nothing like pulling up next to a sweet looking truck and when the guy gets on it, it sounds like two four cylinder motors running next to each other.
  12. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

That is a SWEET setup!! I bet it does sound nice. I just went with a high end set of flowmaster headers and took the truck to a local exhaust shop with a good reputation and they did the header setup and replaced the muffler with dual exhaust angled out if the back. I love the look and the sound is music to my ears.
  13. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

Ive already decided to take the stock y pipe cat combination off but if i ran strait pipes to a two inlet two outlet muffler would that do the same thing?
  14. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

Yes... Basically the y pipe and dual inlet and outlet muffler are designed to equalize the back pressure for both sides of the engine. That's my understanding anyway.
  15. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

Well what if i took off te cats will the pressure still equalize alright? The reason I wana take the cats off is cause they are rusting off and one had a leak but I patched it. Im just thinking why not just take it off and not waist the money for new ones
  16. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Removing the cats is fine. At any rate, when you do this exhaust setup, you're still gonna want to get the truck retuned for the setup. Headers, cats deleted and dual exhaust (real dual exhaust with the "H" pipe intact) will be INCREDIBLY loud if you also went with no muffler...mine is super loud with cats...
  17. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

That's right, if you ran a dual in, dual out muffler with no cats + headers you would have a good setup
  18. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

what do i need to reprogram?

- - - Updated - - -

i plan on putting on mufflers
  19. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

You can get by without the cats... But becareful with your local laws regarding. If you remove them you'll just have the annoying check engine code that the cats aren't working properly...:))).

With regards to reprogramming... That engine is going to want more fuel... And the power ban is going to change. What I did with mine was buy a diablo trinity tuner and had Lew fromm diablew tune write me a custom tune.for the ecm and tcm. My truck now runs like a high performance hotrod. If I want I can light the tires up... No power braking bs until I letup on the throttle. The programmer and custom tune are well worth the $$$
  20. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

can i get away with briging it in to get tuned and not buying my own tuner?