1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

installing headers

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by newcheylover, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2 on the H pipe. Nothing like pulling up next to a sweet looking truck and when the guy gets on it, it sounds like two four cylinder motors running next to each other.
  2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

That is a SWEET setup!! I bet it does sound nice. I just went with a high end set of flowmaster headers and took the truck to a local exhaust shop with a good reputation and they did the header setup and replaced the muffler with dual exhaust angled out if the back. I love the look and the sound is music to my ears.
  3. newcheylover

newcheylover Member 1 Year

Ive already decided to take the stock y pipe cat combination off but if i ran strait pipes to a two inlet two outlet muffler would that do the same thing?
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Yes... Basically the y pipe and dual inlet and outlet muffler are designed to equalize the back pressure for both sides of the engine. That's my understanding anyway.
  5. newcheylover

Well what if i took off te cats will the pressure still equalize alright? The reason I wana take the cats off is cause they are rusting off and one had a leak but I patched it. Im just thinking why not just take it off and not waist the money for new ones
  6. zigger215

Removing the cats is fine. At any rate, when you do this exhaust setup, you're still gonna want to get the truck retuned for the setup. Headers, cats deleted and dual exhaust (real dual exhaust with the "H" pipe intact) will be INCREDIBLY loud if you also went with no muffler...mine is super loud with cats...
  7. zigger215

That's right, if you ran a dual in, dual out muffler with no cats + headers you would have a good setup
  8. newcheylover

what do i need to reprogram?

- - - Updated - - -

i plan on putting on mufflers
  9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

You can get by without the cats... But becareful with your local laws regarding. If you remove them you'll just have the annoying check engine code that the cats aren't working properly...:))).

With regards to reprogramming... That engine is going to want more fuel... And the power ban is going to change. What I did with mine was buy a diablo trinity tuner and had Lew fromm diablew tune write me a custom tune.for the ecm and tcm. My truck now runs like a high performance hotrod. If I want I can light the tires up... No power braking bs until I letup on the throttle. The programmer and custom tune are well worth the $$$
  10. newcheylover

can i get away with briging it in to get tuned and not buying my own tuner?