1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

installing headers

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by newcheylover, Jan 24, 2013.

1. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

If you have a custom tuning shop with a good reputation...yes. But I also did the custom tune by lew with my diable intune and I gotta say, first of all, the dude is a wizard and my truck rips, secondly, getting a tuner and tune from lew isn't expensive compared to want some shops want for a custom tune.
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

I believe so... Though you'll have to find a shop that can do it. To me I went with the tried and true diablo product.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have true duals on my colorado, and It's loud as hell and I love it!!! long tube headers, into straight 2 1/2" pipes, into dual SLP loudmouth mufflers, turned down under cab..
  4. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

alright. also if i were to put shorty headers on and just run tubes down would that work as well or would long tube headers be the better choice?
  5. zigger215

Still doesn't mean it's good for the engine...
  6. inthesticks

inthesticks New Member

Something to note about long and short tube headers..

Long tube (as someone else said) will perk up the low RPM area moreso than the high RPM area) they will still help in high rpm's but a greater amount in low RPM.

Short tube will be the opposite a more pronounced gain in the high end.

Here's the big difference, SOUND, the long tube will have more of bigblock "Throat" , where as the short tube, will be more of the 12 grand formula one "buzz".

If you are NOT "building" the engine, and only want a per $ price HP increase, BOTH styles will help, the BIG difference will be the sound you want...........

Greg In Brandon, Manitoba
  7. BlackSmoke*

BlackSmoke* New Member

8. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

Thanks to all I understand it a little better now
  9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

I went with the long tube headers... I wanted the more low end torque boost... Wanted something definately noticeable in the seat of your pants...:)))
  10. zigger215

Some from the video that was posted, the summit rep said shorties give better low end torque and long tubes give better mid range and top end...did I miss something here?