1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Installing original radio in 2002 Silverado.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 1999Sierra, Feb 3, 2011.

1. 1999Sierra

1999Sierra New Member

I want to remove the Alpine stereo/xm from my 2002 Silverado and reinstall the original radio/cd. Has anyone out there done this and, if so, can you give me some advise please? Thanks.
  2. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

That's a pretty easy task. It's been about a year since I have done a head unit in a Silverado, but I have done three for myself all together with no problems.

1. Put on the emergency brake!
    2. Turn key to on but don't start vehicle and put shifter lever all the way to the bottom as well as steering wheel tilt to lowest setting.
    3. Remove dashboard face panel by pulling it straight out towards you. Sometimes it can be tricky to get it out from behind steering wheel but it will pop right out.
    4. Remove any screws holding in the head unit and dash kit.
    5. Slide head unit out and unplug the antenna wire and aftermarket wiring harness from the factory harness, as well as any RCA wires that may or may not be in there.
    6. Remove dash kit plastic bin around head unit.
    7. Plug the antenna wire and factory wire harness into your factory deck.
    8. Screw into place and ensure it works correctly.
    9. Put your dashboard back on.

This is very easy to do. If you can plug a cord into an outlet, you can do this. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  3. 1999Sierra

1999Sierra New Member

Friggin Fantastic. Thank you. I'm going to have a go later this week when the boss is out of the office. I'll let you know how I do.
  4. 1999Sierra

1999Sierra New Member

Done! I can't believe it. With your step by step guide, I had the Alpine out (what a wiring mess) and the original installed in ten minutes. While the wiring to the Alpine was a mess, fortunately the original connections were all there and it works great. I think it looks better too.

Thanks a bunch for the advise. I'm friggin delighted :)
  5. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Good to hear ya got it done without any problems. The factory radios for Chevys are really nice, especially if you have one with the disc changer. Glad I could help. If you ever have any questions pertaining to car audio just let me know.