1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Installing Pioneer P3400BH in 2003 Silverado - Questions - (Bear With Me Please!)

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by deathcab, Dec 12, 2012.

1. deathcab

deathcab New Member

Hey y'all,

I'm completely new to installing stereo equipment but I really wanted to try this install out and have attempted to get as prepared as possible but I have a few questions to resolve before I get going on this.

I have a 2003 Z71 Silverado LT Extended cab w/ Bose, Onstar, and Steering Wheel Controls. The factory HU won't eject CDs anymore so I just bought this video unit (P3400BH) to replace it. I picked it up new but "open box" because it was missing the factory wiring harness that came with the unit itself. I understand I need a GMOS-04 harness to retain the Bose system. I don't care about the Onstar (don't use it / never upgraded after digital conversion). I also understand I will need the ASWC for my steering wheel controls. Here are the questions I have:

1) Do I need to buy a replacement "factory" wiring harness for the head unit itself? I can get this for about $20 and bought the unit under the assumption I would have to buy one, but now I'm starting to wonder -- Can I just connect the GMOS-04 and then use the RCA plugs to connect to the stereo? If so, how will the unit get power? (is the GMOS-04 plug and play where the two ends connect and it will power the unit?) -- I think I'm mostly confused on how the adapter interfaces.

2) The unit is a double din and should fit the slot on my truck fine according to Crutchfield. Is there anyway to install the unit without an aftermarket mounting bracket / dash kit or is this an absolute must? I only ask this because they all seem to have awful reviews and appear problematic. Trying to make the install as easy as possible.

3) Is there easy access to the glove compartment behind the panel once the stereo is out? I would like to hook up the iPod cable for navigation and run it through this way, if possible, while doing the install instead of going back later.

Any help / tips / advice /etc. is very much appreciated. I've got a guy who normally does this kind of stuff for me but I really want to give this a shot and figure it out this time so any pointers would be great!

(Here's a picture of the back of the unit)
    x130P3400BH-B.jpeg
  2. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

Ok first thing is first, you NEED the mounting kit..no way around it, those headunits are not designed for individual trucks, they are designed to fit into a mounting kit and that kit in turn is designed to fit into a specific vehicle.

You NEED the the unit wiring harness and also, go with the PAC parts GM harness, the GMOS is garbage, you get lots of pink noise (static) through your speakers with that harness. The minute a customer brings me a GMOS it goes in the trash or gets returned. PAC audio is where it's at! Great harnesses.

The glove box is very easy to get a cord to, it's a great spot for an iPod connection. Make sure you have good clearance when shutting the glove box. Don't put the cable in a pinch point.

Quick break down of the dash. It is so simple, turn your ignition on (don't start, shift your shifter all the way to first gear, drop your steering wheel all the way down. Now pop that entire front trim piece off, don't panic when you hear a relay clicking, all you did was turn on your hazards when you removed the bezel. Now, you have access to your radio, remove the three screws and pull the radio out, put on bench, take a hammer to it. :). Half the install is over.
  3. zigger215

Don't let this

image-3905919600.jpg

Cause you to panic and keep you from getting this!

image-3221796501.jpg
  4. deathcab

deathcab New Member

Thanks so much, extremely helpful! I looked at the PAC but I was under the impression that the rear fade doesn't work on that unit in my truck?? Wasn't sure if that means that it will just be even with all speakers (which is fine) or if that means it will only play through my front speakers (not fine) so that is why I was leaning towards the GMOS, despite all the problems with it.

Ok so here are the parts I'm ordering:

1) Dash Kit http://goo.gl/3W5cI

2) Original Wiring Harness for the P3400 http://goo.gl/z14gE

3) Either PAC OS-2C-BOSE (http://goo.gl/NdXTY) or GMOS-04 (goo.gl/b7BZA)

4) Optional steering wheel controls (not sure if I'll do those yet or not) and / or the parking brake bypass (http://goo.gl/uoeHX)

Then after that I'm basically good to go as far as all the PARTS are concerned?? Do I need the antenna adapter also (http://goo.gl/u2x45)?

Thanks again so much for the help?
  5. zigger215

Yea you do need an antenna adaptor for your truck, fader and all speakers work just fine with the PAC interface. As far as everything else, you're golden.
  6. deathcab

deathcab New Member

Great, thanks again!
  7. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

+1 on the PAC interface.
  8. zigger215

Couldn't agree more!
  9. Project1

Project1 New Member 100 Posts

Where in the hell did you get the harness for 20 bucks? When put my head unit in my truck 06 silverado the harness was over 80 bucks at every store. Bottom line im jealous lol
  10. B Cubed

B Cubed New Member

I just installed the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH in my non-Bose '11 Silverado. I used the Metra 95-3305 dash kit for the install. I used the PAC OS-4 to connect to the factory wiring (which by the way comes with an antenna adapter). I also used an Axxess ASWC to interface with the steering wheel controls. I also got a parking brake bypass from MicroBypass.com to get around the video lock-out thing. Everything including OnStar works great with this setup.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013