1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

installing power windows and locks question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by McCoy, Apr 17, 2014.

1. McCoy

McCoy New Member

Hello all, I have a 1999 GMC sierra 1500 sl so its just a basic work truck with almost no interior luxuries. So my question is how difficult would it be to install power locks, windows and etc I would like to do an engine swap down the road from my 4.3 to a 5.0 or a 5.7 and I was curious if this would be worth my time to do?
  2. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Member 100 Posts

I would imagine you could. I can think of multiple things that would need to be replaced to get power windows / locks:
    1.) The window regulators
    2.) Wires to power and control the regulator
    3.) Door Arm rests for the controls
    For the engine, I think that requires some wire modification as well, and I think a new computer to control the different engine specs. Not sure about exhaust or intake carryovers.
    I looked into changing an old F150 from 2WD to 4WD and gave up when the cost + my time was higher than the cost of buying the Silverado I own now
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

On older vehicles the easiest way to swap in power windows and locks was to to trade doors or purchase a kit like what JC Whitney sells.
    Im not sure what all interfering systems your model yr truck uses, newer model trucks use a body control module along with other electrical controls that make mods like this a pain.
    Possibly the best choice would be an aftermarket kit that has the electricals all mapped out already..
    Engine swap is a common mod, lots of info available.
    I'd source the engine and parts now, do any rebuilding required, then wait until the 4.3 gives up.
  4. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Member 100 Posts

Forgot about the body control module, good call.
  5. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There is an electrical panel under the dash and it has the pins and connections to make most things work. There may be wiring in other places that needs to be connected in order for the connectors in the electrical panel to work but it should be doable. I would find complete doors from a donor vehicle and swap them out entirely. Otherwise, you are going to have to piecemeal everything together... door panels, harnesses, motors and regulators. There are 3 connections to the driver's door on my 2000 SLT. It has memory seats too. It would seem to me that it would be much easier to sell what you have and then buy what you want.