1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Installing Subs in Silverado?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 763chev, Oct 18, 2010.

1. 763chev

763chev New Member

I have a 05 Silverado LT and i was wondering how to tap in to my speaker wires? Or can i just install a deck ? Ive been told it kinda sucks to tap off the speakers. If anyone could help me out that would be great!
    mms_picture.jpg

2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ok i've known a few guys who have used the modules to tap into their speaker wires to run the amp and it does work fine. But in reality its ten times better to get an aftermarket deck. Gives you a lot more options and many more bass controls. You'll also notice a big difference in how your speakers sound with an aftermarket deck and amp. Just my $.02 :)

3. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2! When I put in my sub I installed it with a line tap to RCA convertor because I didn't have the funds to buy a head unit. It worked pretty well, but it took a lot of tinkering with the amp to get the levels set right and I couldn't do much with the eq. For graduation though I got a head unit with a dedicated sub output. It's phenomenal, a lot better sounding then before with the convertor.

4. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I ran two ten inch subs with a factory head unit, I had it installed by ca audio shop however my setup was running an rca tap from the stock head unit into the amp (which was installed under passenger seat). I as well didn't have funds for a head unit (had to get a DVD/NAV unit) so that is what I ran temporaily. It actually didn't sound too bad (amp was tuned by audio shop) however the subs overpowered my stock speakers. After installing the new head unit with a dedicated sub pre out it the sound is so much better. This was done on an 08, not sure if there was a change in speaker/head unit design (internally) that could affect my results to yours.

Bottom line is, it can be done with RCA Taps on a stock head unit, however if your wanting better sound then install a aftermarket head unit.