1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Installing XM Satellite Radio Receiver... CAN I USE THE FACTORY XM ANTENNA?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jlbf0786, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

I have an XM Sirius Satellite Receiver unit that I wanted to install in my silverado, my question is if I can use
    the factory XM antenna that's mounted on the front of the roof or not?

The kit includes an antenna with the receiver unit.. but since there's already one mounted on the truck can
    you just use it, and if so.. how ?

I'm sure alot of you fella's have bought the aftermarket XM units, did you use the provided antenna?
  2. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey man I used the factory antenna that was on my roof. On my truck behind my glovebox was a silver box that had a cord going into it. That is the XM box and if you unplug that wire you can plug the antenna wire from your receiver into it. You can than use the factory antenna. PM me if you have any questions, but its pretty easy. Its a lot better than having that stupid magnetic antenna.
  3. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

4. hotrodking86

JLB,
    Its fairly easy to do, sstoner has a pretty good outline of it. I didn't even move my XM brain I just unplugged the factory cord and inserted my aftermarket radio cord into the brain, its as simple as that. Let us know how it goes after you do it.
  5. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 New Member

SIGNAL is FUZZY

Well I tried using the factory xm antenna but its just too short, I ran the antenna that was provided with the KIT i bought
    and its FUZZY as heck... I am going to look for an antenna extension for using the factory XM antenna.
    I found a bunch online, they're fairly cheap.. (under $10) so i'll get one sooner or later.

With the SIRIUS Receiver I have I don't know where to mount it. I dont wanna put it on top of the dash.
    I can only put it in the cup holder, which is fine for now but i want a more permanent solution that looks better.
  6. hotrodking86

I use to have mine mounted under my radio, like on the under side of the dash kinda. I used a few dots of clear silicone and than when I took it out, the silicone came off pretty easily.