1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Instrument Cluster Project

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Cheez, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

They are SUPER easy to install
  3. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2 - The overlays are easy and quick.
  4. Cheez

Well it's been ordered. Should be here in a week or so and they'll be on with picture to prove it!
  5. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

can't wait to see finished pics........have fun.....set looks great on e-bay Brian
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The overlays are real easy to install.
    I have one in my Tacoma thats white with orange flames during the day and black with oranges flames at night when the lights are on.
    Some tips to make the job go easier are:
    Let the truck warm up to normal operating temperature then turn off before you start the job and carefully note the position of each gauge needle on a sheet of paper.
    When reassembling do the same thing.
    Be very careful handling the needles, I recommend using tweezers to handle them at least when putting them back on, to much movement will mess up the alignment and you'll have to pull them back off to correctly align them.
    The needles are very easy to lose, I always use a plastic container or magnetic parts dish to hold small parts and screws when doing jobs like this so I dont lose stuff.
    If you dont have a manual for the dash assembly take lots of pictures as your taking it apart, with digital cameras now a days it's not like you have to run out and get them developed.
  7. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Noting needle position isn't required, when your truck is off, the needles rest at zero, remove them at zero and put them back on at zero.
  8. tbplus10

Note where it registers zero at, it isnt in the same position on every truck.
    And when you start up again you need to have a good reference point to ensure you got them in the correct spot again.
    I've done this swap more than once and I learned this from experience.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  9. Cheez

Thanks for the advice guys! I don't plan on taking the needles off so we'll see how that works. I figure it can't be any tougher than window tinting.
  10. tbplus10

I dont think you can get the new gauge faces on without taking the needles off. Unless you cut the gauge faces and then that'll leave a line on them.