Instrument Cluster swap

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by KAHruzer, Dec 19, 2009.

1. KAHruzer

KAHruzer Member

The modular design of the 1988-1998 Chevy/GMC trucks lends me to think I could swap out an instrument cluster from any of those versions for my 1991 C1500.

Can anyone confirm this?

The 1991 has those awkward white progression gauges which irritate me. Thought I'd go back to regular pin/needle dial type if I could.

Is adding one with a tach gauge easy to do for one which currently doesn't have one?

2. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 New Member

the plugs are different on the needle guages, ive tried it. however there is supposed to be some options i think on the 91's that had tach and needle guages with the old plug on the back. i also looked at changing the plug from the 92+ harness but the part of the dash it looks into is different as well so it just narrows the options. i have seen clusters on ebay for a 91 with needle guages but they never showed the back of it to confirm it will fit the older plug.

3. KAHruzer

KAHruzer Member

Thanks dirtplay, you probably saved me a lot of anquish, and some cash as well.

At least now I know what to look for.

Seems odd to waste all that modular design, then change plugs, though.
    Maybe Chevy could learn something from Apple, since they're 'reinventing' themselves.