Instrument panel lights went out

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by johncc, Sep 24, 2008.

1. johncc

johncc New Member

I have a 99 silverado and my instrument panel lights will not come on when my headlights are on like they normally do. They do come on however when I turn my overhead cabin light on. Any ideas?

2. speeddemon31176

speeddemon31176 New Member

Could be a bad headlamp switch. Actually I would say that is the problem but it cooouullld be something else.

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I received a letter a while back about a "class action" suite about dash gauge, light, etc. failures for a group of trucks. Mine didn't have the problem or meet the criteria so I threw the letter away. You might check with the dealer to see if yours is covered in that group. GM was supposed to take care of failures, but I don't remember the particulars. Good luck!

4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is the chime still working when you have the door open and the lights on?

If not, then check fuse #9 (may be different for you) in the fuse cluster inside the cab.

I just had the dash lights go out two days ago and noticed it because I had my door open with the lights on and the key in the ignition and didn't hear the annoying dingdingdingding of the chime. Checked fuses and that one had burnt out. All fixed now.

Good luck!