1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Insurance and lift kits

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by cain73, Feb 10, 2013.

1. cain73

cain73 New Member

Just some friendly information for those looking to go high with lifts.......some auto insurance companies limit the amount of lift you can have and still get insurance to 6". Just thought I'd throw that fact out there. If you don't tell them about the lift you can still get insurance, but the cost of the lift wouldn't be covered in the event of a claim.
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts

I was also told that I was covered up to and including a 6" lift. I also believe they said that if its higher the cost would increase some. Probably in the collision area of the policy but not sure.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Something to consider when deciding not to tell the insurance company is that even though your insurance premiums are paid up if you dont tell them you've modified the vehicle and get in an accident you could be denied coverage on the accident if it can be shown the lift was influential in contributing to the accident or damage resulting from it.
  4. cain73

cain73 New Member

Absolutely correct. And I'm not advocating excluding any information when applying for insurance.

- Phantom - up to and including 6" is usually fine, and yes it can increase with more lift, but they can also deny the policy due to modifications. Modifications can alter the corresponding symbols for the vehicle and change the premium OR make the vehicle "un-insurable" altogether.
  5. BlancoJustin

BlancoJustin New Member

I never even thought about bringing this up with my insurance company. I will have to look into this in the morning! Thanks.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

It's not just your truck It's the fact that Driving OVER some little thing (Rice Rocket:neutral:) in front of you might do more Damage to their car and the person inside then if you had a bumper at Stock height.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

I am a strong advocate for bringing any/all modifications you make to your insurance company to make sure it's insured. I do exactly that, myself -- because the last thing I want is for a deer hit to 'total' my truck and my mods be treated as worthless and result in no reimbursement.

Yes it raises your premium, but what you're buying is peace of mind...