Intake and Exhaust.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by b-radical, Nov 24, 2009.

1. b-radical

b-radical Rockstar 100 Posts

yo' whats up. On a 4.8L v8, will changing from stock exhaust to a 3 inch pipe from the cat back with performance muffler change gas mileage? Also how will putting a high flow intake on affect gas mileage? Thanks.

2. b_burdine

b_burdine Rockstar 100 Posts

I have the 4.8l v8 also and it doesn't bother it too much. It all just depends on how you drive it once you have the exhaust. What year is your truck, and performance mufflers don't do too much. With intake and exhaust you're looking at gaining maybe 10+ hp but if you chip it you'll get even more.

Got pictures?

3. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Here's how I explain it to my friends that aren't too car savy...

Basically your engine is an air pump... The easier air and go into and exit from it, the more efficient it will be...

So, yes, putting a perfoemance exhaust and intake will increase your mileage and HP, but you have to still drive normally... Sticking your foot in it at every stop sign and red light will drop you rmileage, no matter how mane performance / ecomony mods you do...

Hope this helps...

4. b-radical

cool guys thanks. This is pretty much what i thought. Thanks for clearing it up. And my truck is a 2000. I have pics on my profile but havent figured out how to get them in my posts yet. Thanks again.

5. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

yes any improvement in HP will always decrease your gas milage, even if its a little.

6. b-radical

wait now im confused again. can someone clear this up, please?

7. b-radical

project reaper I think you may be wrong, I have the exhaust system in and have been running in for about a year, I gained 1 mpg, and have more power. big up SOCAL!

intake coming soon, will give full report