Intake, Cat-back, and dyno tune Results

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 07cobaltss/sc, Oct 20, 2009.

1. 07cobaltss/sc

07cobaltss/sc New Member

Got a 5.3L 01 1500 with 3.73 gears, k&n intake, magnaflow cat-back, and dyno tune.
    stock tune run was 255whp
    and with dyno tune results were:
    261rwhp/303rwtq
    only a 5whp peak gain from the tune, but the results were huge threw out it. it pulls so much harder down low.
    this thing spins from punching it at 20mph with tc on!

totally new animal
  2. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

If you only got that little hp gain from your tuner, I'd look into a different one.
  3. 07cobaltss/sc

07cobaltss/sc New Member

peak hp means notn when ur basically stock the powerband is where it counts. and thats where it was huge
  4. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

I don't think either of us wants a pissing match here, you said "basically stock" and yeah your powerband is important, but peak hp does mean alot as well. That being said, I stick to my original comment, 5hp gain over stock from a custom dyno tune is not much especially with some bolt on's.:fighting0040:
  5. 07cobaltss/sc

07cobaltss/sc New Member

he wasnt asking for a crazy tune or anything just help the idle and let it breathe better basically which is wat he got, a few tweaks.

and will a 02+ z06 heads fit on his 5.3? may do ls6 cam and heads wanna know how much power to expect. would it be fine with no headers?
  6. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Why are you piece mealing from other vehicles? Do you already have those parts? You should just look into the proper long tube headers for that vehicle. Don't do shorty's if you want any real benifits.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. 07cobaltss/sc

07cobaltss/sc New Member

he doesnt want to do headers tho right now. just was curious about the gains from z06 heads and cam
  8. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Why, question is, why ask about parts from a car instead of asking about proper aftermarket ones with better gains anyway?
  9. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member

wow

zo6 cam is good, if your running alot of boost.
    also a tc

Performancetrucks.net has alot of information, by all means i am not advertising, but that place is like a library full of FI and power adders.
  10. 07cobaltss/sc

07cobaltss/sc New Member

becuz i have seen alot of ppl do that swap z06 cam in it
  11. redemn93

redemn93 New Member

i guess tymbom doesnt get it. not everyone is out to make an 11 sec truck.

yes the ls6 cam is a nice choice for daily driver. not radical and not a 50 hp cam but a nice difference will be felt. you may be better of getting a custom truck grind.

2tone04 is right about performancetrucks.net. those guys know everything. and can help with cam choices.

the heads will fit but i dont know if they will improve performance. i know the 5.3 heads are high compression than the ls6.
  12. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Fair enough, I've never heard of it personally, but whatever works :). And no I didn't get it, that's why i asked, lol. I had never heard of it as I said.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  13. redemn93

redemn93 New Member

its a popular low cost swap for ls1 and 5.3 motors that want a little more umph. not a huge gain by any means. but nice for the average joe.
  14. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member

what did you do about your 02's for the catback? did it come with an extended wiring harness or 02 eliminators?
  15. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Who are you asking, lol?