1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Intake gaskets?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by gmcman101, Apr 27, 2011.

1. gmcman101

gmcman101 New Member

I looked here for the answer but once again I'm here at work so I can't spend too much time looking. Most of the answers are for the vortec, this isn't one.
    Anyway, here's my question, I have a 93' K1500 with a 5.7 and 170,000 miles on it. I actually just bought this 2 weeks ago and it didn't have a tail pipe on it. This past weekend I had duel exhaust put on it and I can now see that there is white smoke or steam coming from the exhaust. So what are your thoughts on this? I was thinking maybe a head gaskets issue but I'm hoping it's an intake gaskets issue. Didn't check the plugs yet. When I start it for the first time in the morning, the temp will get up two 220 or so then gradually get to around 180. I check the oil constantly because of an oil leak, but that's another post, anyway the oil level doesn't go up or there is no sign of water in it. The anti freeze level doesn't drop considerably but I did have to add some. I guess I'm just checking with someone experienced as to what would seem to be the problem with the information I gave.

Thanks, Bill
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Maybe its just condensation. The smoke is steam from the water evaporating.
  3. gmcman101

gmcman101 New Member

I thought condensation too at first, but there's a lot more moisture than the usual dripping from the tail pipe. After it warms up a little I could it it some gas and black water would shoot out of the tail pipes for a few seconds. It also seems to steam longer than you would think?

Thanks for your reply silveradotrailblazer,

Bill
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would try a pressure test on the coolant system.