1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

intake manifold gasket priblem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by crazyforgms, Dec 29, 2012.

1. crazyforgms

crazyforgms New Member

hi there i am new to the club i have 98 chevy k1500 with the vortec 350 that has 212000 miles on it the last week i started losing antifreze
    i thought i had a rad leak .the other day the truck idle funny so i check the oil & it was part antifreze .Do i have a bad intake gasket or did i blow a head gasket the truck was not over heated any ideals?

thanks crazyforgms
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

You have a very major leak if water is in the oil.... Water in the oil can mean the end of an engine if you don't fix it immediately. It could be either. You may have to remove the head and intake. You will also have to drain the oil and coolant. You will also have to complacently flush the oil to try to get the water out.
  3. crazyforgms

crazyforgms New Member

thanks for replying i am not driveing it i drain the oil & had the truck towed to the shop i bought it from i hope it is not a head gasket
  4. Conlan Rose

All they have to do is check the compression of each cylinder. Still it is gonna be expensive to fix.
  5. Kady

Kady New Member

Any funny color smoke coming from the exhaust when it was running??
  6. crazyforgms

crazyforgms New Member

monday my buddy & i took the intake off my truck .after we removed the intake you could see were the gasket failed ,we clean the inside of the engine replace the gasket & reinstalled the intake the truck runs like new thanks for the help

happy motoring
  7. Kady

Kady New Member

I hope you spent the extra money and got the better, upgraded gasket..
  8. Conlan Rose

Happy to hear your truck is fixed. You should try to do a write up on it.