1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

intake modification problem.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cascott325, Aug 31, 2008.

1. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a 2000 silverado 1500 4x4. Its got a 5.3L v8 vortec, and I have a k&n air intake which was on it when I bought the truck. Guys from work were saying something about a throttle body spacer really helped in combination with an intake system, so I bought one. I tried installing it today which was not hard at all however, the way the tube on the intake turns and the throttle body sets out plus the extra inch from the space, the front of the intake tube is pushed into the back of the radiator fan. I could cut the shroud and it would be fine, but the fan is flush with the end of the shroud which screws me because then the fan will hit the intake tube.I don't want to cut notches in the blades due to the fact that I dont want to throw it out of balance or weaken it in any way, and I also know that I can't just eliminate the fan due to overheating. I have thought about getting an electric fan as the best overall solution, but the price is a little more than I can afford, and I'm not real sure what kind of "extra" money I will be getting into along with the amount of work that will need to be done. If anyone has any suggestions as to an easier and/or cheaper method, can you please leave some insight.

Thanks,
    Chris
    p.s. i bought the spacer from J.C. Whitney and I didnt ask about a return policy, does anyone know if they have a return deadline?
  2. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

Check out "Electric fan swap Made easy" in the Write-up -- User How-To & Installation guides. It's better and cheaper than you'd think.
  3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

why not cut down the intake tube some?
  4. hutch_pt

hutch_pt Rockstar 100 Posts

I thoughtt that JC Whitney would have had a warning that the K&N and the spacer wont work for the late model GM trucks for that very reason. When I bought my MAF sensor, it had a warning on the web that stated that it would/would not work with the K&N FIPK.

Anyways, they should take it back if you decide to return it. Never had a problem with them in the past.
  5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

a fan swap done the way i wrote it up is cheap and works well. but i modify the intake or not use the spacer. (my opinion is they are over cost and little return. they make the under the hood sound louder tricking you into more power, but the heat they suck in under the hood actually reduce power (this was dyno proved) a stock drop in filter from k&n or other cotton replacement work better. just use abs pipe and rout a stright line out to cold ait and you have better results and more power and money in your pocket)........mike
  6. cascott325

so should i get a sealed box instead of an open box? maybe run lines straight to open air for fresh air
  7. cascott325

well, im not quite sure how to put pics up, but there is an attachment on this post along with this link
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=14826084&albumID=896659&imageID=42557784
    you can see how much room i have to work with which is minimal, i though i could cut the shroud but then the fa will hit, so i thought i could cut the tube, but then the rubber coupling wont fit. so im gonna do a little more research before i make my final decision. thanks for all your feedback, and please keep posting i need more ideas to ponder.

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      93.7 KB
      Views:
  8. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i use the stock airbox and remove the air mufflers and run a tube to fresh cold air and been very happy. i am designing a new intake for the 502 in my motorhome as it suck in the hot air and i had vaper lock a few times now...........mike
  9. craigc90

craigc90 New Member

poweraid makes 2 spacers for 99-06 trucks one is about an inch behind the throttle body the other is about 3/4 in the intake manifold and about another 1/4 out behind the tb. i have the one that tucks in on my 02 with a aem intake and bbk 80mm throttle body. i did trim the shroud but it does clear the fan.
  10. cascott325

ahh yes, the only problem is that i didnt have it installed, it was already on when i bought the truck so i dont have those parts. any suggestions for that? I dont think it will be too hard to fab up a sealable box. probably out of lexan, its tuff and wont shatter, and i can bend it on the shears at work.