GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Interested in 07 Yukon Denali

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by bracker7, Feb 13, 2013.

1. bracker7

bracker7 New Member

OK so my Jeep is now officially the beach crawler with my 3rd child on the way and I am looking to purchase a used 07 yukon denali. I don't know much about them. Anything i need to be looking out for? it has 67K miles which is good for the year, but anything i need to be worried about at this point? They are asking like $24K. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if all is good, I'll be cruising around in it soon. pics to follow after I get it to my buddies shop for fun.

Thanks everyone.

-Brad
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

The denali is a nice truck. It gets about 1mpg less than the standard yukon. This is due to the all time 4 wheel drive and the 6.0L motor. Really with that low amount of miles on it it is hard to tell you specific things to look for. The obvious of course, fluid leaks, odd tire wear, does it shift smoothly, those type of things
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member

all I know is that they are a GM/CHEV breed ......what else could you want !!!!!!!!!!

Brian from Canada
  4. stchman

stchman New Member

I was under the impression that not ALL Denalis are AWD and that you can get a RWD Denali.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I think that I have only seen one 2wd denali. They are not all that popular where I live.
  6. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

X2. I think you can get 2wd denalis and escalades, but they don't seem very popular. In Canada, the Denali and Escalade is only available in AWD though. Overall, I'd go with what Pikey said for things to watch out for. As long as there are no leaks, weird sounds, or unusual wear on the tires/suspension, and the transmission/engine seem strong and smooth, everything should be good.
  7. stchman

stchman New Member

It cracks me up that people buy $65K SUVs and demand that they be 4WD or AWD. Seriously, is the guy that just bought the Escalade going to be off-roading it? No.

Yes, I'm aware that 4WD or AWD can give a little better traction in snow. Still IMO not worth the extra $$$$$. Hey, this is just my opinion.

In many cases 4WD is ~$4K more(new purchase), I just don't know if I can justify dropping that much money for something that I'm going to use 0.1% of the time.
  8. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member

I guess its a good thing he isn't buying it new then lol
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Have you ever tried to pull a 3700 lb boat out of the water on a steep boat launch that is either loose gravel or covered in slime and algae or when there is a very strong current while in 2wd? It usually does not work out well. On more than one occasion I have seen 2wd trucks pulled into the Detroit river (really strong current) while the owner attempted to pull his small bass boat out. Were I live there are tons of lakes and tons of boats. Many of the people in my area are very well off. (not me) They can afford a very nice boat and an even nicer truck. Most also have decent size families. So, why not get a 4x4 escalade, yukon xl, or suburban? They need it for the boat and their family. we tend to get some snow here. While the large suv is heavy and gets around alright in 8-10" of fresh snow it makes for a much more enjoyable trip if you have 4wd. In 8" of snow 4wd does not give a "little better traction" as you put it, it makes a major difference. Not only on accel from a light, but in keeping control of the truck while you are driving down unplowed, rutted snow covered roads. Driving thru thick slushy snow is like hitting a 1 foot deep puddle on the shoulder of the road while driving 40mph. It will rip the wheel right out of your hand. There are a few farms near me also. Guess what they have. A 4wd yukon xl or suburban for the farm and an escalade for the family. They use the escalade to pull the trailer with the kids motocross bikes in it. They take them way out in the field. So, just because you would only use the 4wd .1% of the time, does not mean that there is something wrong with other people's thinking who want a 4wd suv, many of us use it much more. I for one use it everyday in the summer putting the boat in and taking it out. I don't offroad in my yukon xl, I would bet that I probably use my 4wd more often than a majority of guys that do offroad in their pickup.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  10. bracker7

bracker7 New Member

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I hesitate due to the mileage, but that is just because I am not familiar with Chevy or GMC. I've always owned Jeeps and they are easy to work on, keep running, and add stuff too. I say that because i am no means a mechanic but like to save myself money where i can. Most of my cars I have been able to get over 200K on...whats your take on the 6.2L V8 durability wise?

Also i agree with Pikey on the 4wd or AWD. I grew up in WV and now live near the beach and everyone has as different reason for 4wd even if it is for their wife because she feels safer. happy Thursday all!

- - - Updated - - -

Also what do you guys think of the price at almost $25K? Obviously it depends on wear/tear, but just thought i would ask...
  11. stchman

stchman New Member

Is this a dealer or private party?

According to Kelly Blue Book, $24K is a good price for that SUV with that mileage.
  12. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

65k is nothing for these trucks.
  13. bracker7

bracker7 New Member

Its a dealer. I'm in the process of getting the carfax, but they have had the truck into service for over a week and they said it wouldn't be available for me to check out until next week because it will still be in the shop. They have been reluctant to say why...I'm definitely taking it to my mechanic for a once over to make sure it is still a yukon when they are done with it :)
  14. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I would be a little concerned. Maybe it was in a wreck and it is in their body shop. Who knows? I would definitely be talking to someone to find out what is going on with it.
  15. stchman

stchman New Member

Tell them this:

"If you don't tell me why it is in the shop, I will go to your competitor and buy a vehicle from them."

It's not like that's the ONLY Yukon Denali around.
  16. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I would even consider looking at some standard, fully loaded yukons. With a fully loaded yukon you can get almost everything that is offered in the Denali, except the wood grain dash. Plus the denali package usually cost more. You can also get a 5.3L rather than the 6.2L which will help with MPG. It you like the dash that much you can have yours hydro dipped. I do not believe that the denali is available in 4wd it is only all wheel drive. Therefor you can not switch to 2wd, which hurts mpgs and increases front diff wear. My cousin has an 04 yukon xl denali and he goes thru front diff parts and wheel hubs like crazy! He has 180,000 miles and has rebuilt the front diff twice. When I bought my 05 yukon xl I made sure that the 4wd selector switch had Auto 4wd, 4 high, 4 low, and 2wd. I did not want the AWD. The only option that my truck does not have that a denali does is the 2nd row heated seats and the 2 tone seat inserts.
  17. stchman

stchman New Member

I cannot speak for a 2007, but the 2013 Yukon and Yukon Denali have virtually the same dash. The Yukon has fake aluminum while the Denali has fake wood around the radio. The Denali has some fake wood around the steering wheel as well, but the difference between a Yukon and Yukon Denali are minimal.

From what I have seen and compared, the Denali will have the following features a non-Denali cannot get.

6.2L AFM engine (regular Yukon has 5.3L only from what I can see)
    Fake wood around the steering wheel and radio
    Nuance leather seating surfaces
    Denali chrome grill
    AWD system
    Denali badges

Now the Denali usually runs ~$4k more when buying new. The Yukon and Yukon Denali have a hideous front grill when compared to the Tahoe.
  18. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

That is a matter of opinion! Just like my opinion that the Nuance leather seating surfaces are ugly! I can tell you that when I was looking for my 05 last summer there was a significant price difference between a yukon and denali with comparable miles and options. I noticed that private owners selling a denali had a inflated perception of the trucks value. The dealers were slightly higher priced for the denali but, not nearly as much as private sellers.
  19. stchman

stchman New Member

At the last car show here in St. Louis I went and sat in a Sierra Denali and IMO the Nuance leather is quite a bit nicer than the leather in the Silverado LTZ and Sierra SLT.

If yo go look, the price difference is between $4K and $5K.

It's all a perception as to why the folks think their Denali is worth more than it actually is.
  20. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

The few I have been in have had a two tone seat. I did not like the way it looked. The leather may be nicer, but I don't like the look, just like you don't like the look of the grill