Interested in doing a CAI and muffler

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Chrismx144, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Chrismx144

Chrismx144 New Member

I've got a 05 5.3 ext cab and I'm interested in a little more HP but more importantly the sound. I was leaning towards doing a cat-back/muffler and a CAI. I think I got the CAI picked out. Looking at Banks CAI ive just seen a lot of people using them on this forum and talking about them. But as far as the muffler system goes..I'm stuck between Gibson, Flowmaster, Dynomax, and Magnaflow. My buddy has a Gibson on his 5.3 and i've never heard it, but he says it sounds decent but not that loud. I'm looking for loud but not obnoxious. The only reason that I didn't want flowmaster was because all my friends have them. They sound good but I like to be different. I'm just looking for good sound, definitely loud, and preferably the side exit out the rear behind the rear tire but if you guys recommend a certain brand/model where it can't be done that way thats fine. I've heard about the borla stinger..but 750 is a little out of my price range. trying to keep it below 450. Thanks

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I also have a 05 Silverado. I have the Banks CAI and a Magnaflow cat-back. Banks didn't have a exhaust back in 05 when I bought my Magnaflow otherwise I would have gone with the Banks cat-back. The Magnaflow has been good but I heard a Banks exhaust a few months back and I liked it.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Borla also makes a really great sounding system. I had it on my 06 with the 5.3L and it was nice and toned.. Actually sounded very sophisticated and muscle car like.. But was very smooth on the highway.