interesting condition

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by scgamer_99, Nov 15, 2009.

1. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 Rockstar

ok so i just noticed that my burban will be running fine blowing hot air out of the heater and everything, then all the sudden it starts cooling down, so i glanced at the temp of the engine and it has shot up to 240ish it usually runs 190 area, so i keep looking at it then all the sudden it drops like a brick and the heater turns hot, what the hell? i was kinda thinking the thermostat what do you guys think?

2. reaper

reaper New Member

Thermostat is the area I would be looking. I have had the same prob with some of my older units. I have also seen this on my vette when the water pump started heading south.

3. boduke5051

boduke5051 Member

I'd think either a sticking thermostat, or a clog in the cooling system right around the heater core area. I'd suggest a new thermostat, and a cooling system flush. If you don't want to pay to have the flush done, I think I only paid about 20 or 30 bucks for a flush kit (guessing high I think) at the local parts store, & it just hooks up to your household garden hose spiget. You'd be AMAZED, or Grossed out at the things that a cooling system flush will spew out onto your driveway. I did an S-10 Blazer one time that looked like a cat coughing up a hairball big enough to make a complete wig for a long haired schnauser. I've got to admit it was one of the only times that working on a car actually turned my stomach. lmao.

4. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 Rockstar

sorry i didnt follow up on this lol, anyways so i was thinking since i was going to replace the thermo anyways just to see if that was the reason i would change my belt, looked old, and right when i took the pressure off i sprang a leak from my water pump, took it off and wouldn't you know the only thing holding it tight was the belt, one bolt was totally rusted through and when i went to buy another one the split the old one open just to see and the propeller blade was half gone lol so i found my problem