1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

interior door handle not working - 99 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Castor Troy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Castor Troy

Castor Troy New Member

I've got a 99 GMC suburban. The interior door handle isn't working, but the exterior handle works fine.

A replacement handle is $29 from 1aauto. is that all i need to get the door working??
  2. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Yes, those things break pretty easy. I've replace them on three different trucks of the same body style.
  3. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

Check around the local parts stores and there is a HELP section will kinds of oddball parts you need from time to time and they have the handles for around $15 at partsamerica/advance auto. Save you from having to pay shipping.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pr...Code=&MfrPartNumber=&CloseoutFlag=0&st=2&so=0
  4. Castor Troy

Castor Troy New Member

i shall check it out. thank you
  5. Castor Troy

Castor Troy New Member

also, another interior question. i've got the flip up center console in my front seat. the button no longer works to get it open. is there a fix for that or do I need to replace it?
  6. funnyguyMI

funnyguyMI New Member

For anybody who does a search and comes across this thread looking for advice... I was able to find a replacement handle assembly at my local auto parts store for $15. Problem was, it was only available in grey or black. I have tan interior... I was able to take the handle out of the grey assembly and put it into my tan assembly though. The biggest problem I ran into was that the original assembly was riveted into the metal insides of the door. I used a saw to cut the plastic tab off that was riveted in. Everything else was pretty straight forward...

HTH,
    -Mike
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Awesome! I love if when people can get quick help to everyday problems! Makes my day.
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I know I'm going to get laughed at for this one, but I will post it anyways for a good laugh. When I first bought my 05' Silverado, I had stopped at the grocery store and when my mom tried to get out of the rear door it wouldn't open from the inside. She started yelling that she couldn't get out, so I walked back and opened it up with no problem from the outside of the truck. It wouldn't open from the inside of the truck, but it would open from the outside. I took it to the dealer thinking that something had broke loose in the door, here come to find out there was a child safety switch built into the side of the door. You can only see it when the door is open, it is a little white switch that has a lock and unlock feature which my mom must have brushed up against with her leg when she got in. Talk about embarassing! I only brought this up, because yours is doing the same thing that mine was doing! :sign0018: