1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

interior electronics??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by my65coupe, Aug 31, 2013.

1. my65coupe

my65coupe New Member

ok so just bought a used 2001 silverado though i got a good deal 115k pretty clean no rust.
    drove it everthing worked.
    starting to find little things wrong.

hvac controls only work on #4-#5 so thinking need new control unit

rear veiw mirror has temp compass but doesnt work when i turn on every light is on so looks like 88 with f and c lit
    the dimmer works the onstar works

isnt the radio and interior controls supose to work for few minutes after key is turned off (and door not open yet)
    my last truck was like that and work like to have that on this one.

any imput or advice would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    marc
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

first I would use a meter and check fuses. also make sure fuses are held tightly in the sockets.

on the HVAC manual or auto control ?

if the fan speed is not working correctly I would replace the resistor module next to the blower under behind the glove box.

when the ignition is turned to off the radio should continue to work for about 15-20 min. when the door is opened it will shutdown..
  3. my65coupe

my65coupe New Member

Fuses are good it is getting power just display is fully lite up so looks like 88 and both f and c are lit up

Manual controls on hvac
    Just don't want to buy new control and new rear view mirror is can be fixed

- - - Updated - - -

And turn key off and everything shuts down
    Would like to have radio windows still working for the 15-20 min
    Is there some sort of settings that can be changed.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2....on the Problem with the Fan Speed not working Correctly, being the Blower Motor Resistor going Out/Bad.

In the this Diagram, Number #21
    is the Blower Motor Resistor
    [​IMG]
  5. my65coupe

my65coupe New Member

What would be the best way to test the resister module
  6. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Do the interior lights work as they should. Might be a problem with the door switch.
  7. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

you remove this resister assy and look for damage. you will see the resistor board corroded/burnt. also you may find that the connector to this module is corroded.

being in the rust belt ingestion of corrosive chemicals gets into the air box and then all this occurs. the assy is at auto zone for about 25.00 USD.

since the vehicle is this old this may be the 2nd one installed. most have this fail just as the 3 year warranty ends. the aftermarket resistor / relay assy is far better then the GM OEM one since it is a sealed unit to protect from environmental damage.
  8. Dawson

Dawson New Member

I had the same problem and it was the fan speed switch on the control unit in the dash. I went to a junkyard and picked up a switch for just a few bucks. Might solve that problem for you.
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had the same issue with the mirror on 2 of my trucks. Both did what you are describing when it was over 90 degrees outside. One of them I never fixed because the truck was totaled. the other I fixed by simply playing with the wires at the connector on the back of the mirror. I just pushed the wires deeper into the connector and the mirror works fine now.