1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interior lights not working automaticaly

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by dpeter, Feb 17, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. dpeter

dpeter New Member 100 Posts

My interior lights do not work when doors are opened but do work when key fob is activated or dash switch turned on and also work individually with lamp switches. I am leaning towards the BCM but don't want to drop 150$ on one to test a guess. I have been looking at Haynes diagrams but can't come up with a good test for it.
    Anyone have a way to check out a BCM or have any other ideas about what the problem might be?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They can be de-activated by turning the dash control knob, perhaps it has been accidentally turned off.
  3. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

That sounds like the way they behave when the override button is pushed in. I wonder if it has gone bad, leaving you in permanent dome light override.
  4. dpeter

THANKS RayVoy and Dana W for the replies. I had forgot about that button. Just checked and it was depressed so all is good now. Didn't mean to keep you guys hanging but was out of town for work. Truly appreciate the replies.
    Just reread original post and as often said by 2core ... Don't go looking for Zebras when you hear hoof beats.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks for the update, it may help some one down the road.
  6. dpeter

Yea, I was all set to track down some mysterious electrical problem. I should have taken my own advice I give to others and start with the simple/obvious stuff. Thanks again for saving me from myself!
  7. 03 SIERRA

03 SIERRA New Member

im glad its fixed lol. the 99-07 dome light headlight switch assembly always likes to act up and go bad a lot. seen probably a dozen bad ones just some info fore everyone
  8. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

Glad yours is fixed, or at least not broken in the first place. :lol: . I have to leave my override button pushed in 'cause I am too lazy to replace my drivers door plunger switch which has gone permanently to on, even with the plunger pushed in by hand.
  9. JohnTN47

JohnTN47 New Member

My 2012 Silverado 1500 has just started acting up. Dash switch is OUT. Dome lights come on with switches at the dome lights, so not a fuse problem. I see the switches below sill plates. Could one of those have gone bad? I have not taken trk to dealer yet for problem.
  10. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!!! If its a 2012 I would let the dealership find the problem. Thats what you paid that BIG money for is to have a headache free truck for a few years. I would imagine theres a bad switch somewhere. Any pics of your truck we are suckers for pictures!!!