Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interior lights shorting out...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 95suburban4x4, Jun 23, 2007.

1. 95suburban4x4

95suburban4x4 New Member

1995 Suburban 4x4 LT K1500 350 motor

The interior lights intermittently short out.

All of them go out at the same time. Then, a few minutes or days later, they will work again. Also, I don't know if it helps any, but the driver side door doesn't trigger the interior lights when I open the door either...even if they are otherwise working.

I realize that I have a short somewhere, but if anyone can give me an idea where I should start looking, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everybody in advance.
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ususally a good place to start is the door jam switch. Test for short post of the switch. Sometimes the shorts are in the weirdest places, like up in head liner.

[​IMG]
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Pull all light assemblies down and out. Then see if shorts are obvious near light housing. Plus this gives you access to wiring to test for shorts. Pull interior fuse and start testing brother. Multi-meter is the better choice to trouble shoot short. (The Cable-guy in me is coming out now...LOL)
  4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Smart lights?

Does the 95 have the 'smart' interior light circuit? By that I mean do they time out if you leave them on after the car has shut off? This can cause you to misdiagnose the trouble. I agree that you should start with the door switches and it sounds like the drivers door should be your starting point.
  5. 95suburban4x4

95suburban4x4 New Member

As far as I know, I do not have the smart circuit. I do have that on my 95 S-10 Blazer, but I purchased the suburban at the beginning of this month and from the time that I bought it, I have had this problem. When the lights come on when I open the passenger doors, the lights immediately go out when I close the door. So, unless the smart circuit is totally messing up, I don't believe that I have it on the 'burban.
    Anyhow, I will start at the driver door switch and hopefully that will be my problem. Thank you and Cableguy for all your help.
    Bret
  6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Keep me posted

Let me know how that works out. My trouble is the front passenger door. No dome light action from it. It's been that way since I bought it a couple of years ago.
  7. 95suburban4x4

95suburban4x4 New Member

You got it, bro. I'm honestly not very proficient on electrical issues but I'm reading up on it a little bit so we will see how it goes. I'll keep you posted...
  8. 95suburban4x4

95suburban4x4 New Member

Dang...that last post just promoted me from newbie to jr. apprentice. Movin' on up like George and Weezie! :great: