1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Intermediate Steering Shaft Lube Procedure

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by dwill3015, Jan 22, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Intermediate Steering Shaft Lube Procedure

cures knocking felt through steering wheel

reference GM bulletin #00-02-30-003C

Tools Needed:
    needle nose pliers
    15 mm wrench

GM kit #26098419
    You can find it here www.gmpartsclub.com
    [​IMG]

Step 1: Start with the front wheels straight ahead and the column locked, if equipped. Remove nut with 15 mm wrench at steering shaft under dash.
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Disconnect shaft by pushing towards firewall.
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Remove bolt on steering shaft under the hood.
    [​IMG]

To be continued...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  2. dwill3015

ISS Lube Procedure Part 2

Step 4: Disconnect shaft and push towards firewall.
    [​IMG]

Step 5: Pull shaft out from inside cab.
    [​IMG]

Note: The procedure to lube the shaft is described, in detail, in the instructions that come with the kit.
    Step 6: Remove the spacer with needle nose pliers.
    [​IMG]

Step 7: Squirt all the grease from the kit into the end of the shaft, try not to get any on the sides at the top or it will be hard to keep the stopper from slipping out under pressure.
    [​IMG]

Step 8: After installing the stopper into the end of the shaft, place the u-joint at 90 deg. and press against a hard surface.

3. dwill3015

ISS Lube Procedure Part 3

Step 9: Pull the shaft out to full travel and make sure there is at least 1/2" of grease protruding.
    [​IMG]

Step 10: Spread the spacer out a little with snapring pliers or by carefully pulling your needle nose pliers.
    [​IMG]

Step 11: Tap the spacer into the end of the shaft untill it is 1/4" from the end.
    [​IMG]

Step 12: Reinstall the shaft by pushing it back through the hole from the cab. Tighten the upper nut to 35 lb ft and the lower bolt to 37 lb ft.
    [​IMG]

4. mehoff400

mehoff400 Rockstar 100 Posts

good write up.... was this a dealer part or an aftermarket one? and how much was it?

5. dwill3015

Not my work. I have seen this on other sites so i wanted to post it here to be helpful. Mine has been replaced once under warranty but for those that have no choice but to do it themselves, here is how.

6. bb55hrt

bb55hrt Rockstar

Thanks for the post. I have to do this on my truck. Know I know what to do:great:

7. Rex

Rex New Member

Thanks for that!

8. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Excellent Darcy, just was reading about replacement parts. haven't purchased it yet but will try this first. Even though I do not have the clunck yet, I also read some were that this was available, Thanks for bring this back up again....

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  9. Dan

Dan Rockstar 100 Posts

if you are out of warrenty it will cost about 250.00 to replace the shaft my servesing dealer told me that the grease repair is a temp fix and will have to be redone within a year..that is why he is only doing replacements unless the person insists on the grease repair out of warrenty as well as under warrenty

Dan

10. 2008blackWT

2008blackWT Rockstar

if anyone wants i can get this part for probably around 100 dollars. I have a buddy that works at hummer they have had the same problem and had a replacement to fix the problem. He got me mine Ii would be willing to part with it. I am selling my tahoe and it doesnt make the noise anymore. I will send a pic of the part i have to whoever wants it just so you know you are getting the right one. there are two differant ones.