Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Intermediate Steering Shaft Lube Procedure

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by dwill3015, Jan 22, 2009.

1. kinglt1

kinglt1 Member

Here it is for cheap!

www.gmpartsclub.com and search for 19153614.

2. cutlass350

cutlass350 New Member

I know very little about steering and suspension. I would really like to learn as much as I can about the intermediate steering shaft, and then replace it on my own. I do have a couple of questions;

Will the noise get worse? I feel like it's become a slight bit louder, but I think that's just my imagination. I think I just pay more attention to it now that I know it's there.

Am I in any danger if I put this off a month or so? I work from home and occasionally need to make some short trips. I'd like to get this done right, but I do have to do a bit of driving before I can dive into it.

Thanks guys!
    Brady

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Intermediate steering shaft lube procedure

Did this procedure on my Silverado and it did not last long. Ended up installing Borgenson shaft assembly. I hope i dont seem ungreatful for your info, and it may help others. It may be because my truck is lifted that it did not last. Thanks.

4. bd1326

bd1326 Rockstar

Replaced my entire upper intermediate shaft today, clunking is gone. At first I thought it was front shocks, wasn't the problem but they were bad anyway. Then I thought it was a ball joint since the sound was more prominent on the drivers side, didn't work either. Took the truck in for service and had them check front end, they said it was the upper shaft. Found new shaft realy cheap, Dorman part number 425176 on www.rockauto.com Think i paid ten dollars shipping. This was the cheapest I found anywhere after looking to probably four months.

5. PorscheDoc

PorscheDoc New Member

Good information!

6. thejms

thejms Rockstar

Nice find. Mine is clunking, time to lube or replace.

7. bd1326

bd1326 Rockstar

i don't know how much the lube kit costs, but the lube is only a temporary fix, might be worth your while just to replace the shaft.

8. MBurke

MBurke Rockstar

Hello, Mine has been " Clunking " for a while so I got a new one from the dealer. I was able to change it out in about a hour. Pretty simple really....no more Clunk here. :great:

9. skinner

skinner Rockstar

easy fix for the clunk

I have been doing some research on the shaft in question and i have a solution that will stop the noise almost instantly. It will require a minor modification under the hood, but fairly easy to do.
    I hope to do mine tomorrow nite and i will post pics and basic instructions then.

2004 chevy Silverado Z71 Ext cab 4x4

10. skinner

skinner Rockstar

This fix i have come up with works to stop the noise from the slip-yoke on the Chevy/ Gmc trucks that everyone is upset about. Ihave 90,000 on mine and it worked instantly.
    The only issue i can see is if the splines are worn badly, it may not cure it or may have to be maintained more frequently.

First, open the hood and turn the steering so the connecting bolt (about 12 inches from the firewall) is positioned with the head pionted up.
    You will need a hammer, centerpunch, 1/8" & 7/32" drillbits, drill, a 1/4x20 thread tap and handle, a grease fitting with 1/4" thread and a grease gun.
    I used a multipurpose chassis grease with 40% Molybendum content.

First centerpunch then drill a 1/8" [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]pilot[/COLOR][/COLOR] hole at the top of the flat above the bolt head , then open the hole with the 7/32" drill bit as shown.

[​IMG]

Next using the 1/4" tap, cut a thread in the hole(as shown below) but only cut about half way up the tapered tip of the tap so when incerting the nipple it will be very tight. It is ok if u cut a full thread, the nipple may not tighten as securely.

[​IMG]

Next incert and tighten the grease nipple in the hole, Be careful not to over tighten.
    It should look like below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last step, pump atleast 30- 40 shots of grease into the fitting, then drive it 50 miles or so and pay attention to weather the noise comes back. If so pump another 30 shots of grease into the column.
    This should eliminate the noise and give the steering a bit smoother feel.
    You may add a few shots of grease to the column when and if the noise returns , to maintain lubrication in the spline.
    Notes: It will take about 100 shots of grease or 3/4 of a tube and the grease will start coming out of the bottom of the column at the steering box end. I may sujest to disconnect the column at the location shown in the pictures and plug the upper portion below the grease nipple, then pump in the grease. It will require less grease and will put a bit of grease pressure in the tube which will prolong the time between maintenancing the spline but is not nessesary. I packed a rag in the bottom of the column when the grease started to come out and put pressure on the rag with a small prybar to create some pressure but it was not nessesary to complete the modification.

UPDATE: JUST AT THE TIME I WAS FINISHED THIS MOD, ONE OF THE GUYS I WORK WITH TOLD ME THAT HE DID THIS MOD TO HIS 03 gmc TRUCK 5 MONTHS EARLIER. HE WENT FOR ONE RIDE, REGREASED AND HAS NOT HAD TO TOUCH IT SINCE. HAS OVER 6000 MILES SINCE THEN AND IT IS STILL QUIET.

Try it at own risk, if u are not confident that you can complete this task, get a shop to do it for you.
    Post your results and updates for all to see, good or bad.
    Thanks and good luck, hope this works for you as well.
    skinner (Deryk)