Intermediate Steering Shaft Lube Procedure

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by dwill3015, Jan 22, 2009.

1. leftywoody

leftywoody New Member

The pencil shows the opening where you stuff foam or some other expanding substance up in there . that will stop the grease from travelling down and out the tube shaft .

1 person likes this.
  2. Doug Dennison

Doug Dennison New Member

I wondered about that. Mine's the smaller one, I think. The tunes are about a foot long, and maybe 1-1/2 diameter. Not one of those YUGE ones. I'll keep adding. The clunking isn't awful; just annoying. Only at very slow speeds or when turning the wheel while sitting still.

Thanks again!

3. leftywoody

leftywoody New Member

If you don't block the end of that tube , shown where the pencil is stuck up in there, you will get grease going down the tube instead of up the tube where it will do the most good . That may be why it is still clunking . You should plug that hole with some cloth or some tin foil or foam rubber rope like was suggested . At least you will save you the mess of it oozing out the tube at the bottom .

Doug Dennison likes this.
  4. Doug Dennison

Doug Dennison New Member

Got it. What about a squirt of expanding foam insulation? Any harm in using that? Seems like that would seal into those ridges and not fall out once it cures.

5. leftywoody

leftywoody New Member

I would think it would but you would only need a quick shot of it . You just need to create a plug , not fill the tube with too much foam .

6. Doug Dennison

Doug Dennison New Member

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. First, I gotta clear some grease out by that hole at the bottom. It's there all right. Thanks again for all your advice.

7. Doug Dennison

Doug Dennison New Member

Eureka! It looks like it worked. I had grease about coming out of the bottom of the tube, so thought the expanding foam wouldn't work. Instead, I stuffed a pretty good-size piece of sponge up there. Then I added a few more shots of grease, and saw it coming out the bottom. I pushed the foam back in, drove the truck a couple times over the next day or two, and the tested it again - no clunking. I might add a bit more of both sponge and grease, but it's MUCH better.

Thanks again for all your help!