1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Intermediate Steering Shaft

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Big_Ben, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

Recently had my truck at the dealer for a possible transmission issue. I have a note on my Service quote that says "Noticed pronounced steering shaft clunk during road test. Intermediate steering shaft should be repacked or replaced".

I will admit, I know basically nothing about steering and after reading this note, I can KIND OF notice a "clunk" but nothing that's really jumping out at me.

Average cost to "repack" or replace ?

Possible consequences if ignoring this and not having anything done about it?

Difficulty level for a DIY job?
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just went to Summit Racing and bought the replacement Borgeson shaft last weekend, It cost me $283 after tax and everything. I had went to the dealer previously and bought the "quick fix" lube kit for $20, and it lasted about 6 months and the clunking resumed. From what I have read about the Borgeson shaft it is a 50% chance it will work, but I can tell you that just by looks alone it is much heavier duty built. The shaft is easy to take out and put back in, a couple of hex bolts and some close places to work in and it comes right out.
  3. Big_Ben

Sounds simple enough. But is it worth it. As I said I know jack about steering, so really, aside from the rattling or "clunk" what is bad about this? It's not THAT bad to me and I can just turn the stereo up louder, so is there anything wrong with just leaving it alone?
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I replaced my shaft over two years ago with the Borgenson unit and it still works fine. My truck is a 05 Z-71 lifted with 35s so the shaft gets a work out.
  5. Lankhimself

Lankhimself New Member

I bought my '06 Sierra used with this problem. After about four months of driving with the clunk I decided to get it fixed at a local GMC dealer. I think it was $150 out the door? I don't remember but I know the overall cost of the job wasn't ball-breaking. It's been solid ever since and the problem hasn't returned nearly a year later.
  6. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

they have a thread on here on how to fix that and it is very simple, simply drill a hole and put a grease zerk in it, the thread has pics and is in detail, i will try to find it
  7. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

its a common problem and not a safety concern at all

the steering shafts have teflon bushings that wear and allow the grease to dissipate

you can remove the gear box side of the shaft, jack it off a few times and re-install. this will qet rid of the clunking for some time but it will return

you can replace the shaft, it will still happen again in time. The new shafts are gm's 13th design last I checked

theres a good thread on here showing how you can drill and tap a grease zerk in the shaft.
  8. Big_Ben

That's all I wanted to know really. Haha thanks guys.
  9. jbtroxler

jbtroxler New Member

Big Ben,

You can buy the latest ISS from your chevrolet dealer for $90 and it takes 15 minutes to put in. You will need a 15mm socket and 15mm open end wrench.

The latest design has a urethane bushing between the splines and it works great. Don't waste your time re-greasing. I just put one in my 04 2500HD, actually I have also put one in my 06 1500.

Ben
  10. slider_buck

slider_buck New Member

i just replaced mine last month. this is very easy to do, took about 30 minutes. i got mine off of ebay and paid $60 for it. so far no more noises.