1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Intermitent wipers not working on 2000 Silverado.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by blackrat, Oct 12, 2009.

1. blackrat

blackrat New Member

I have a 2000 Z71 and last winter my wipers were frozen to the windsheild and the wiper switch was on when I cranked the truck. Ever since that morning my intermitent wipers no longer work. The wipers will work on high speed only and will not return to the bottom when I turn the switch off. I have to time the switch with the position of the wiper arm or it will shut off in the middle of the window. I have checked the fues and it is fine. What else could be the problem ?

Thanks!
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i had this same problem on my 01. you need a new wiper motor cicuit board, which includes the top cover for thewindshield wiper motor. it is located beneath the cowl at the windshield on the drivers side. all you need to do is remove the old one and either fix the damaged part (you should be able to see it and replace with parts from radio shack) or replace the whole unit for about $100.
  3. blackrat

blackrat New Member

Thanks!!

Do I remove the black plastic outside cowl or is the peice you refering to located on the firwall below the cowl and pretty much behind the drivers hood hinge?

Thanks again!

Wade
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

hmm... im fairly certain the motor is not in the engine compartment, but is located beneath the cowl just behind the rear wall of the engine compartment. To remove the cowl, you just have to pop the 2 end caps off, remove the T15 torx screw at each end, and remove the wiper arms from their posts. To remove the wiper arms, remove the black caps on the posts, loosen the bolts, and either use a puller to remove them, or wiggle and pull (they may be very difficult to wiggle off.