1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

intermittant headlight failure on 1994 Silverado 1500 4x4

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by weswins, Mar 5, 2012.

1. weswins

weswins New Member

I have a few noobish questions for the experienced guys out there.
    I have a 1994 Silverado1/2 ton 4x4 with power everything.
    Occasionally while the truck is running (at idle or driving) the low beams will turn off for a few seconds and then turn on as bright and solid as they should be. There is no flickering or dimming they justcompletely turn off. My park lights remain on and the high beam circuit seems to reset the low beams. I have held my fingers on the switch to see if its the relay falsely tripping but there is no feelable or audible click.
    What the Ford is going on here?!?

On a possibly related note: my Voltage gauge is reading lower than what the charging system is actually maintaining. Once in a while it will read correctly but then after a few minutes begins reading around 9-10V when the truck is actually running about 14V.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

HI, weswins:

I would test the voltage in the feed to the headlight switch to see if you are getting correct voltage. As long as it is around 12 volts or higher with the ignition off, and around 13+ volts with ignition on, no issue with connection.

However, a drop in voltage may indicate one of two conditions: 1) a short (grounding but not real good contact as would be the case in a full short) or 2) connection of the power wire is bad, such as a crimp connector is loose. I have traced issues like yours to a loose crimp connector in one case and a bad wire somewhere in about a 12 inch section. In the latter case, after narrowing it to that length of the run, I cut off the end and spliced in a new wire and connector.

A voltage drop could still mean the headlights operate at least when the bad connection is not all the way disconnected, as long as it will throw the relay.
  3. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Does it do it with brights on?
  4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do they go completely dark or do they go really dim?