1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

intermittent no start

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by sagags, Jan 18, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. sagags

sagags New Member

I have an 02 silverado LS with 5.3 motor. I have had it in the shop twice to have them fix a no start problem and they have failed and I can't afford another $200 part swap. So here is whats happening: I can turn the key to the start position and nothing happens except the instrument lights will go on. THere are no relays clicking and no noise from the starter. This only happens about 4/10 tries when its cool. The ignition switch and the other part of ignition have been replaced. Sometimes you can hold it in the start position for a few seconds and it will start and sometimes jiggling the key will start it. Is there something being overlooked. The odd thing is it only did this once at the repair shop so they were not sure of problem.I could not find any threads like this one, thanks for any help.
  2. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member 100 Posts

This may be a dumb question but have you checked to make sure that your battery cables are tight? My dually rattles the heck out of my truck and several times I have had the same issues as you and once under the hood I found my cables to be loose. A quick tighten and I was back up and running. I have since upgraded the bolts to locking jamb nuts and I have not had starting issues since. This may not be your issue but it's a place to start and won't cost you anything and if it's been serviced a lot recently you don't know if the technician tightened them all the way down.
  3. sagags

sagags New Member

yeah thats the first thing I checked once it first started having this problem. But their tight. thanks for the idea.
  4. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Steering column wiring

There is a common problem with the wiring harness that goes up the steering column. The break usually occurs right at the point that the wires leave the column and go up under the dash. Here are a couple of posts that may help:

GMTC 34137 GMTC 184644

Let us know what you find.
  5. sagags

sagags New Member

Looks like that is a great thread. I'll check it when I get home. At least I have a new ignition cylinder and switch.:great:
  6. seffieldvillage@aol.com

seffieldvillage@aol.com New Member 100 Posts

hi did they check the starter. sometimes they get a bad spot in them. if the starter stops on that spot it wont start. i have had that on my silverado. hope this helps ralph
  7. sagags

sagags New Member

I have the panels off around the column. I disconnected the battery to check the terminals just incase but there good. Inspected all the wires from the ignition system and they look good. I'm going to wait till it doesn't start and try to jiggle some of the wires and see if that narrows down my search. I don't think its the starter or solenoid just beacause when the key is turned to start position and held there I should hear some relays, and sometimes it turns over holding it in that poaition. The gauges move and in the start pos the check engine or battery light is on. Is there another relay between ignition and starter?
  8. sagags

sagags New Member

I pulled the starter off last night just to check it out, wires look good and jumped off the starter a few times but functions like it should. I wonder if there is an issue with the security system?My key doesn't have a computer chip but does the computer still read the key someway. I'm not sure about how the computer communicates with the ignition circuit.:confused: