Intermittent Starting Problems

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bear6232, May 15, 2012.

1. bear6232

bear6232 New Member

I have a 2001 gmc sierra 1500 ext cab with a 4.8 v8,i have been having intermittent starting problems the last week.if i take off the gas cap it will start for a few stops then will have to let sit a while and repeat,is it the fuel pump or something different.

2. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Welcome to the site man. In the future, if you are looking for some technical help or diag problems, try to post in the Q&A Section.

3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC, it is good to have you. Do you have any codes come up? If you havn't had it hooked up to retrieve the codes I would, it's free. :glasses:

4. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club! There are many knowledgeable people on to help you with your problem. Check out some of the threads that would apply to your problem.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:

6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!! It is funny how either removing or rplacing the gas cap can make a difference in the operation of the truck. I would aslo suggest that you check the Q&A section. I wish I could be of some help on this subject.

7. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

:sign0016: Welcome to the Club and enjoy the site.......

8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

******Thread Moved*********

9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When you remove your gas cap, is there a vacuum in the tank? Maybe excessive pressure? Does it "Suck" or "Hiss" when you open the cap?