Intermittent starting problems

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by bear6232, Jun 25, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. bear6232

bear6232 New Member

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 4.8 v8 at ps pb ac 4x4.I have been having starting problems where sometimes I go somewhere then it won't start,turns over fine,gas in tank.I had to tow it home saturday,was going to work on it today.I was sitting in the backyard when I bumped the button on the remote starter fob and I heard my truck start,I have had people say fuel pump,fuel pressure reg.,I'm scared to take it somewhere to plug a code reader in, I can't afford to have another towing charge. Any ideas ?
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

How far you away from Iowa??...i have about every scanner you could think of and about every tool/specialty tool you could imagine...if you have any other troubles let me know and i could possibly swing up their IF your not to far away...i wanna say fuel pressure regulator...if i were you and didnt want another tow charge id run uptown and buy the 49.99 scanner at our local auto parts store...
  3. bear6232

bear6232 New Member

I'm in northern Minn,but thanks for the offer.
  4. bear6232

bear6232 New Member

something different when i unplug and replug the fuel pump relay it will start after the 1st of the day,but you have to do this everytime unless you leave it for 4 or 5 hours
  5. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member 100 Posts

what a nice offer ...Brian
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I wonder if it is just a bad relay. Is the relay hot after you run it for awhile?
  7. bear6232

bear6232 New Member

going to change relay tommorrow,don't think this is it,it's like it thinks there is fuel pressure to start but there is none because after the initial start up the next try it will start and die
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it? I would see what it does. The pump could be getting warm and not working properly. I doubt that it would take 5 hours for it to cool down though
  9. bear6232

bear6232 New Member

tried todrive around the block after int.start could not make it around the block died when got to my back yard let it set 30 min then it started and finished parking it but would not start right away when i talked to one of my mechanic friends he suggested sawing the exhaust pipe off in front of the cat to see if there is an exhaust restriction
  10. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

Hello from south of the cities, Bear. My stepkids are up in greater metropolitan Hibbing this week.

You need diagnostics to get to the bottom of this otherwise there's nothing but expense and frustration.

Measure fuel pressure at the rail and make sure it's in spec and stays there. Borrow a fuel pressure gauge from someone or buy a cheap one from a parts place.

Failing that pull the codes. You can get OBD-II scanners for $30 these days and if you have a smart phone you can run Torque and use a bluetooth scanner for a few dollars more and get a better and easier to use setup.

If fuel pressure is good and no codes then you can explore weird unlikely stuff but chances are those two steps will identify something