Intermittent Turn Signal Failure 1997 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Huntr, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

I have a 1997 Suburban.
    Left turn signal works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't within the same trip. When I plug in my trailer, it always works.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

2. dw6171624

dw6171624 Member

Look and check your grounds it sounds like wen u plug your trailer in its giving it a solid ground from trailer so i would start with checkin grounds

3. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Do you know where is the ground on the back of the suburban?

4. dw6171624

dw6171624 Member

No i dont a haynes or chilton should tell u

5. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

It eventually started affecting left and right both. Always after driving a while. Changed the flasher relay. Seems to have fixed it.

6. 98BIGBLOCKBURB

98BIGBLOCKBURB New Member

I have the same problem on my 98. Also works fine when I plug into 7-pin of my camper. The circuit boards of these tailights are notorious for going bad. First to go was my right then my left. Am now looking into a quality replacement set of stock looking LED tailights. Have seen them ranging from about $140 a set on ebay to about $300 from LMCtruck.

7. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Try changing your flasher relay first. $15.00 part. Mine have worked without a problem since changing the relay.

8. 98BIGBLOCKBURB

98BIGBLOCKBURB New Member

Thanks but I tried that early on. My problem, as I said, is the boards.

9. Madddjohn63

Madddjohn63 Member

97's had a tail light guts get hot and melt problem. Replace the guts of the lights. It fixed my friends 97 tail light problem. The sockets R a flaw.

10. wdc1

wdc1 Member

On my 2003 Suburban the ground (braided) that goes from the rear frame to the fuel tank spout ( metal to metal connection) partially broke and caused the intermittant lights issue. Sometimes the rear sockets are an issue if bulb not seated right.