1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

iPhone / Androi App test

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I'm going to do what I think is a three-day trial of an iPhone/Android app for GMTC. It is NOT the same as the previous mobile-device test that I did, mostly becuase that was essentially a non-app that ran in the browser but just rendered the theme differently (stripped it down) if it detected a mobile device.

I'm not sure which way to go, but we're getting a very sizable amount of traffic from handheld mobile devices, so we need to do something and still let those that happen to have very large devices like an iPad, tablet or a very large Droix phone choose to see the regular website if they choose to.

Anyhow, I'll try this out today or tomorrow and I was told I have a three day window before I have to buy it, so I would appreciate any and all feedback on it. After the three days it's not cheap so I need honest feedback after giving it some serious use and not just a first impression.
  2. Sam_A

Sam_A New Member

Personally I think it would be great to have the app. I know I'd definately get the iPhone one.
  3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How do we test it out? Just login with our iPhone or Droid?

Logged in w iPhone and it's working nicely. On wifi loads are quick and screens look good.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. TexasEdition

TexasEdition New Member

tried to logon with my Evo 4G and the ad banner covers up the login area. I tried every way I know to resize things and couldn't. Page loaded in under 2 seconds on wifi.
  5. ChevyFan

yeah, that's one of the existing issues.

No gotten it yet, it might not be ready for download yet.
  6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Are we talking about an actual app from the Android market? I've used the mobile version on my Galaxy S and once you fanagle your way around the ad banner to get logged in the mobile web version works pretty well. The prospect of an actual app sounds interesting.
  7. ChevyFan

This is not an app, the site will recognize that you are on an iPhone or an Android phone (open source web kit phone) and it will load the content in a different format. It's really like just giving a much more advanced "skin" or "theme" for the site.

That being said, the software is not ready yet, and I am trying to get in on the Beta test, but they've not contacted me back yet! I'll keep trying!
  8. ChevyFan

New Mobile Style - Upgrades last night

All members can now log into a streamlined version of GM Truck Club through their iPhone or Android phone. This is not quite done, the blog and the front page are not supported yet, but the forums are.

Best yet, if you don't like it, you can choose the FULL SITE option at the bottom of the window to view the site just like you always have.

Comments? It's a work in progress, so don't get too used to it, it will change.
  9. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts

Good idea. Will it only work with iPhone and Android or will it also work with Blackberry?
  10. ChevyFan

Supposed to. I don't make the software so i'm not sure where the limits are. It's the webkit mobile, which is pretty universal and used by iPhone and Android (I guess).

The mobile is not very good. It's just for the forum, so the blogs and main landing page are not there. Plus there is very little navigation, so it's pretty poor actually. Not happy with it.