1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ipod interface w/out factory XM?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by SoundZman, Mar 22, 2010.

1. SoundZman

SoundZman Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has as setup similar to mine and has a Media Gateway interfacing adapter for their Ipod without a factory satellite radio? This is the devices I'm talking about http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iSimple...ded)/8760888.p?id=1202650491628&skuId=8760888 or http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV...7dQQitemZ130375204989QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Here's my setup:
    ~Bose Sounds system w/ built in 6 disk changer
    ~OnStar
    ~no XM
    ~Band button on head unit

I know I can go down to the "stealership" and have it activated for somewhere between $60-$100.
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Activate what? The XM port? It may be active if they gave you a free trial of XM. I got 3 free months of XM or something like that when I bought the truck.

That kit plugs right in to the back of your stock head unit then you have the Ipod cable in your glove box that you connect your Ipod to.(or whereever you want the cable)

This is what it says in the description:

"Car radio requires Band or XM button for compatibility (when using model PGHGM5 harness)"
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  3. SoundZman

SoundZman Rockstar 100 Posts

I understand that these kits plug directly in the back of the stereo...but they also state:

"When using the PGHGM5 harness: Some Radios may have an inactive Satellite radio port, if not equipped with a factory Satellite Radio Tuner. Please see dealer for activation of this port to enable the Media Gateway interface."

I really don't know if the port is active. But it's obvious that it can work I guess it's just a matter of how much I'm will to pay ($40-$100) to activate that stupid port. I even looked into the GM Tech 2 scan tool (the tool used to active the port) but it's like $3500 on Ebay.