1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is a bigger better radiator needed after the engine being bored out?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Reckin, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Reckin

Reckin New Member

So I am doing my very first engine rebuild, so still learning. That being said, I was told that after having the engine bored out to .040 that a better radiator was needed. He said something about high volume but I wasn't sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't know much about old trucks so forgive me, but do you still have the mechanical fan setup? If so I would consider going to pull a part, grab a set of dual electric fans out of something, and use that and it would cool it just fine. I used a set of f body fans in my v8 swap, and they work beautifully with the stock radiator. I spent all but $100.00 for the setup, including relays and all. It runs off of the ECM coolant temp, just like factory.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm with Amy, a decent fan system and make sure the rest of the cooling system is flowing properly.
    You might change to a slightly lower temp thermostat to fine tune the system but as it stands your factory cooling system in good shape is enough to handle boring out the engine.
    It's not going to run appreciably hotter than it did before being bored out.
  4. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

i suggest you try it the way it its now before doing anything (just plan on having to get a nother radiator just incase). cruising down the road at 35+ miles an hour, the electric cooling fans arnt doing squat, you could completly remove them and still not overheat as long as yoru moving. the problem yoru going to have is when your sitting still. if you find you need more cooling then you could try adding an additional fan to what you have, or a completlly new fan such as an efan upgrade like suggestd.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

A simple over-bore is not going to generate any more heat than the original motor; however, if you increase the compression, bump up the cam, advance the timing, etc (all things that will increase the engine heat), you must get rid of the additional heat.

The stock rad and fan and pump will handle the heat of a rebuilt engine, it will not handle the heat if the performance is increased over stock.
  6. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

X3 - a freshened engine won't create that much more heat, but you should check that your current cooling system is in order. All the junk that the "old" engine spewed out, before the need for a rebuild, ran through that radiator. I would flush the system and check for leaks, just cuz.

The fan swap that Amy mentioned is a pretty popular project. I think they use the Taurus fans...

Good luck,