1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is a Cold Air Intake (CAI kit) worth it?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by jworm, Jan 18, 2014.

1. jworm

jworm New Member

Just wondering what you guys really think. I have a 2014 chevy silver ado crew cab 5.3L V8. Just wondering if a cold air intake is even worth the 300$ on average. My truck is 355HP stock. I would like to get it to 400+ i have heard a good start is the cold air take but i really don't know anything about truck egines. Thanks for the info everybody
  2. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

You would have to start somewhere and that is a good spot. What are your plans? Exhaust, throttle body spacer, programmer? ??
  3. jworm

jworm New Member

yes exactly…. first was gna get the intake, then the exhaust….. maybe a programmer but was gna wait on that as i don't know much about them either. I also have no idea about the throttle spacer either. thats one of the reasons i joined the forum, i figured i could learn something.

- - - Updated - - -

The intake I'm looking at is an AFE magnum force intake… i was told get the oiled (blue) filter, but i don't know the difference between the oiled and dry filter either. KN doesn't have any intakes for the 2014 yet or i would go with the KN. Any ideas/sugestions Thanks
  4. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

With the throttle body spacer, some say it help and some say It don’t. I think it does.
    Programmer, alot of ppl have them on here.
    You should get alot of info on this from alot of members.
  5. jworm

jworm New Member

do you have any ideas/suggestions on CIA????
  6. dobey

dobey Member

The factory intake is a Cold Air Intake. If you want to improve intake air flow, just go with the Airraid MIT intake tube to replace the factory tube between the filter box and throttle body.

I wouldn't waste money on a $300 intake kit though. It's a waste of money.

If you want to get it to 400 HP at the crank without any power adders like N2O or a turbo, all you need is the right cam, made for AFM engines, and a tune. Plenty of other things you can do too, but gaining 50 HP on a stock LS engine isn't that complex.
  7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I would mention, that you may want to hold off on buying a CAI or Buying/Installing other Performance Parts,

I don't know if you've Heard, that General Motors plans to recall 370,000 units of its redesigned 2014" Full-size Pickup Trucks, Citing a Software Problem that could cause Engine Fires.

GM said the Recall Affects All of the 4.3-liter and 5.3-liter Trucks the company has manufactured since production started in the summer, including 303,000 Trucks in the U.S. and 67,000 in Canada and Mexico.

Below is the rest of the Article,
    GM Link,
    http://www.freep.com/article/201401...-pickup-trucks-Chevrolet-Silverado-GMC-Sierra
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would wait also till you get the recall done But also remember these parts will NOT affect your Warranty Unless GM can prove it had something to do with a problem with your truck.

As for CAI's with Exhaust and programer you would see about a 20-25 Hp Gain TB Spacers I never heard anything good about them..

I sent a note to my friend at K&N about a kit for the 2014's should know in the next 24 Hr's..
  9. jworm

jworm New Member

Yes sir, I heard about that. I made the dealership hook it up to its computer and verify that that issue was taken care of before I even took it off the lot.... Thanks for looking out though
  10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Good Deal, glad to see you had this issue taken care of.....:great:

There is One Item that will shows you Gains in H.P., and that is going with a Custom Tune, from one like Black Bear Performance Tunes, below is their Web Site, if you have sometime, take a Look.....I have their Custom Tune on My Silverado, and
    Other than a Pure HP Gains, Overall Drive-ability has been Increased. My Truck Runs-n-Performs at a Higher Level than it did before this Custom Tune,

Black Bear's Tuning Services,
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

Black Bears ,Frequently Asked Questions - Click To Expand

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.asp

IMO....Going with a Custom Tune, will give you the Best Return on your Investment!!!
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014